Force Price 95 75 Hspr.

SkipMoss

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anybody tell me what a good price would be to purchase a 1995 75 Horsepower Force in good condition.<br /><br /> Thanks<br /> Skip

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force Price 95 75 Hspr.

FYI -<br />Force made the 70hp from 1991 - 1995.<br />Then the 75 hp from 1996 - 1999<br /><br />In perfect mechanical condition ( good compression, new waterpump, and no carbon buildup) and well maintained, you should be able to get one at a lower price than any other brand. Maybe $1000 tops.<br />If it needs any work or you have doubts about it's previous maintenance, you don't want to pay much for it. <br /><br />Whagt is the condition? <br />How much are they asking?<br />Can you test drive it on a boat before purchase?<br />How bad do you need it or can you afford to buy a Merc/Johnson/Yamaha for a little more?

SkipMoss

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's a 96. Says Mercury Force on the motor, not Chrysler. Are these motors of inferior quality, compared to Evinrude or other Mercury engines.<br /> Thanks,<br /> Ski[

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Most people will say they are inferior.<br />They were an old design motor that was inexpensive, mostly sold to first time boat owner who failed to properly maintain them.<br /><br />From 1990 to 1995, Mercury made many improvements to them, including adding Mercury lower units, carbs, tilt and trim units, electronics and ignitions, newer style fuel pumps, as well as internal engine improvements.<br /><br />They suffer from a terrible reputation which was created in the 1980's, and often can be purchased for a song. They are simple, basic motors, that if well maintained, can work well.<br /><br />I have a 1995 70hp that I have owned since 1997, eight full years, with absolutely Zero problems. It is basicly the same as the 75hp, but has a different lower unit and tilt system, I think.<br /><br />Mercury discontinued their production in 1999.<br /><br />If you can get it cheap, and decide to buy it, make sure you get to testdrive it on a boat before purchase. Also have the whole thing gone thru by a mechanic. A mechanic should be able to give it a check for the cost of an hours labor.<br />Check compression, waterpump, lower unit, charging system output, signs of previous overheating, inspect sparkplugs and top of pistons, and tilt and trim operation.<br /><br />Compression should be in the 120-135# range on all 3 cylinders.<br /><br />If you buy it ( or any other motor), buy a repair manual and perform all basic maintenance, including changing the impeller, lower unit lube, fuel filter, rebuild fuel pump, install new sparkplugs, DEcarb the engine, and run proper oil ratio with 87 or 89 octane gas.<br />You should be able to do all that for $100.<br />And parts are readily available from any Mercury dealer.