1978 bayliner 240hp chrysler I/O volvo outdrive

Hey everyone,<br />I am Jon.A 24 y/o first time boat owner.My grandpa designed and built farallon ocean fishing boats.He started the company and sold it before he died.But needless to say I have been around boats and fishing since I could walk.Anyways back to my recent problems <br /> .I just purchased a 1978 Bayliner ,20 feet,w/240 hp chrysler engine I/O (after market)and a Volvo penta outdrive(original).I took it out for a trial run the other day and ran into a few problems.It starts fine until you get out far enough lol.found out the carberator wasn't doing its job.I had to take the flame arestor off and hold the valve/choke closed to get any gas then crack a lil to give some air while my friend drove us back to dock.once you get going it runs fine.So I will need a new/rebuilt carberator.The next thing I noticed was temperature ,at a constant speed/RPM why would the temp cycle from 180 to 160 and back.It goes to 180 deg. then drops to 160 deg. within 30 to 40 seconds.Last but probably most important.AS I said before I have a 20ft bayliner 1978 w/240 hp chrysler and volvo penta outdrive.At 4000 rpm with the engine working its hardest, reved to the max, the boat will only go 18-20 mph top speed .Seems like its working way to hard for how fast it moves.My friend says it might be the diameter and/or pitch of the prop.It does have the original outdrive and a diferent engine.If anyone knows about what I am going through, or can help in any way.That would be cool <br />later Jon

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1978 bayliner 240hp chrysler I/O volvo outdrive

Moving to I/O and Inboard Engines