Drive Shaft housing leak

stephenp

Recruit
92 Force OE10840.<br /><br />Hope someone might provide some info on a leak I have in my Drive shaft housing.<br /><br />When on cups out of the water I have a stream from around the transom mount shock (as described by mercparts diagram) - about where the shift rod emerges from the lower unit, although its a little hard to see the exact outlet.<br /><br />I had the local shop put a new impellor in about a month ago as the water inidcator took some time to telltale from start.<br /><br />Its still a little slow - up to 30 seconds from dry, and a lot of water is exiting via the driveshaft housing.<br /><br />Whats my next move ? I like the local shop guy but I'm not sure now that he's missed that one.<br /><br />I'm hoping this is a seal/gasket rather than an crack as I haven't had any groundings / coliisions but I guess the housing can fail.<br /><br />Whats my next move ?<br /><br />cheers<br /><br />SD

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Drive Shaft housing leak

Not sure what the local shop guy has missed.Do you have a problem with the motor?<br /><br />DHP

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps the water tube, which connects the waterpump to the powerhead, is not fully inserted into the rubber boot at the base of the powerhead. Or perhaps the water tube has a split, and it is filling the housing directly.<br /><br />You may just have to drop the lower unit and re-install, making sure the tube is inserted properly.<br /><br />You mention that this happens while on water muffs. What happens when motor is run in the lake/ocean?<br /><br />My motor "leaks" water in the same place, but only when running at slower engine speeds. I was told and believe it is water discharge, stacking up in the housing.<br /><br />My telltale shows a stream of water whithin two seconds of startup. (70 hp).

stephenp

Recruit

Thanks roscoe<br />I'll look into the powerhead connection.<br /><br />It seems to pickup a little quicker in the water , but still can take up to 5 secs from startup. Always seems longer on muffs. - I have put that down to the natural ingress when the intake is in the water vs air.<br /><br />I'm pretty sure when I first bought the motor about 5 years ago pickup was almost instantaneous.<br /><br />DHPMARINE no problem with the motor but hoping to avoid a(nother) rebuild :) . Actually apart from a seemingly fragile starter the motor runs quite sweetly.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />SD

stephenp

Recruit

roscoe<br /><br />I checked the connections and they look fine.<br /><br />Ran her up this morning and took some photos.<br />14 secs to get a telltale running - but ran fine when it started.<br /><br />Also looks like the shift lever into the lower unit is leaking as well.<br /><br />Grateful for any further advice<br /><br />SD<br /><br />file:/home/stephenp/pictures/boat/combo_leak.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The driveshaft, shiftshaft, and watertube simply occupy space in the driveshaft housing. And water falls down through it after it exits the powerhead.<br /><br />Your lower unit is sealed from the water, but not any of the holes or joints in the mid section/driveshaft housing. So exhausted water will seep out any hole it can find in the leg.<br /><br />If the engine is not overheating, you should be good to go.<br />You should be able to place your hand on the cylinder head for several second.<br /><br />If there is a grey milky oil leaking from the lower unit, or water in the lower unit, then you can be worried about the lower unit seals.

stephenp

Recruit

Hey roscoe<br />Took it back to the shop they took it apart didn't find any problems . It does seem to pick up better and spill less water as well. Of course it could be just the phsycology of it...<br />Runnning like a charm.<br />Cheers