'70 85 Chrysler tune up(15yr. hibernation)

gobo

Cadet
Hey,<br />I just got a 1970 Chrysler 85 that hasn't been run for 15 years... It has had some time in the ocean. The boat and motor look like new, always kept in. The moter is clean- as- can- be...<br />What do I need to do before trying to start her?<br />Plugs, H2o pump,????<br />How do I treat the fuel...<br />Where do I go to Check engine comp? :( <br />Thanks a lot.

Realgun

Commander
Re: '70 85 Chrysler tune up(15yr. hibernation)

Change plugs, change fuel pump diaphram, change impeller for sure. Shoot wd 40 or oil in each cylinder. Drop all three float bowls and clean out gunk. Run fresh 24:1 gas oil for a few hours.<br />Dump old fuel on the city's waste system where they take old paint and such. You check with a compression guage. Do a search this will help.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Do a compression test first and verify the ignition system is working. Dont dump a bunch of money into this motor if compression numbers are bad. A lot of the electronic parts are no longer available. YOu can buy a compression tester from sears or any auto parts store for about 30 bucks. They are pretty simple to use

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mercury carries most any part you'll need and Pro Marine carries everything else , so parts are not a problem . You'll also want to pull out the water bypass valve and make sure it's not clogged . It's been the death of many a Chrysler outboards . I just leave them out of mine .

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might want to check the timing. Should be no more than 32 deg BTDC. Was probably higher back in '70. But, with today's gas? I'd also get a SELOC manual for Chrysler. Lots of good tips in it. Like Realgun says, run a couple of tanks at 24-1. Wouldn't hurt to go to NAPA and buy about 10 ft of fuel hose and replace it all.