85 Hp chrysler outboard Head

loi

Recruit
Hi,<br />When I remove the spark plug from my 1972 85 Hp Chrysler outboard motor, the spark plug steel inserts go together with the spark plugs. I guess that the previous owner had put the spark plug inserts to 3 of them and loctite them to aluminum head. But overtime, the loctile could not hold the insert in place so when I remove the spark plug the insert seperated from the head. I have inspected the thread on the head 2 were good but 1 was bad. <br />Can I re-thread it with oversize insert ?<br />What type of loctite do I use to reinstall the insert back to the head so it can hold longer<br />I also have a good 1971 70 Hp Chrysler outboard head spare. It look identical to 85HP head. Can I use this on 85 block?<br /><br />Thank a lot

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 85 Hp chrysler outboard Head

I would say that it will probably fit, you will need to get a new head gasket though. When I replaced mine, I used my Rotary tool with a carbide cutter to cut slots identical to the old head gasket. So save your old head gasket, lay it on the new one, transfer slots and then carefully cut.The new 3 cylinder gaskets are different than the old gaskets.<br /><br />Good luck

loi

Recruit

Please tell me if 70HP head can be interchangeble to 85HP head? so what make the difference in term of horse power (70Hp vs. 85Hp). I noticed that the part# on both head are different that means they are different part. I have a brand new head gasket that match exactly both heads. So it will be fine if I put my good 70HP head on 85HP block. Will I expect horse power reduces to 70Hp?<br />Any knowlegdegeable outboard guru out there? <br />Please give opion.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

loi, in the Seloc manual, it says the 1972 70 and 85 hp motors have the same displacement of 72.39 cubes . The bore and stroke are the same at 3.3125 in and 2.8000 in respectively. So, IMHO, looks OK to do. That is, if everything else is equal. Timing is 32 BTDC. Point gap is .014. Spark plug is Champion L20V. This is true for both engines. One other thing, don't use ANY sealant on the head gasket.