The ole 50 hp Force Again

tj_customs

Recruit
Hey guys, I just bought a 1990 16'7" Bayliner Capri w/ 50 hp Force motor on it. First boat and first outboard. I have 2 questions, first I see smaller boats with bigger motors, what is the maximum I can handle on my boat. Secondly I am having problems getting it into gear any suggestions will help. Thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: The ole 50 hp Force Again

The answer to your first question. On the transom there should be an information plate that should tell you what the max HP motor you can run on that boat. <br /><br />Second question. Are you saying the motor dies when you attempt to go into forward or reverse or the motor runs fine but is stuck in neutral?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Can you move the shifter handle at all?

tj_customs

Recruit

Ok sorry bout the little info I guess I should have eloborated. Engine runs like top, shifter actuates the f/r lever in engine compartment, engine doesn't seem to bog like it is shifted into gear. I have the manual(seloc)just wondering if there might be some kind of safety or other thing stopping the prop from moving. I checked day before yesterday in a ghetto trash can prop was working, then took it to the lake and put it in the water and no prop movement. Prop spins freely in gear or not, and sheer pin is intact. Again any thoughts will help.

STALLAEP

Recruit

Hi there. I have the same engine and my own share of problems. Right now, I only need to find out where the water should eject from because I suspect water isn't pumping through this unit.<br /><br />I originally had a 1969 55 HP Chrysler and it ran well but wouldn't go in reverse. It also had a very bad prop. I picked up a FORCE 50 that had a blown power head, but a perfect prop and hydraulic tilt/trim. I swappped the power fhead from the Chrysler and put it on the lower unit of the Force. It runs well now, but I'm worried that the watre pump impeller may be fried in the lower unit of the Force. That might explain what happened to fry the Forces power head...<br /><br />I was going to suggest that you check the console for the throttle. If it's like mine, there is a little knob that sticks out on the side of the housing where the lever pivots. When that knob is putle out, it disengages the shifter cable at the throttle and the engine revs in neutral only.<br /><br />Good luck...

tj_customs

Recruit

Thanks guys but it was much more simple than that, I dropped the LU and immediately found my problem. The T fitting had become disconnected from the shift rod, quick reconnect and walla no problemo. Thanks guys for the advice and time spent thinking about it.<br /><br />Pat---This engine has 2 different models one dumps water back down by prop(under water) and mine has 2 pee holes in which it sprays out they are located on the upper back leg. If you have holes then replace impeller(actually you should this anyways) it is low cost and easy fix.<br /><br />Thanks Again, now off to the lake LOL!!!!

ricksonntag

Cadet

"This engine has 2 different models one dumps water back down by prop(under water) and mine has 2 pee holes in which it sprays out they are located on the upper back leg."<br /><br />Hmmm....mine ('91 Force 50) has BOTH the pee holes and the discharge by the prop. When I run it with earmuffs, water comes out both once it's warmed up.

jasper astro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found the original owners manual to my 1990 50 hp, and it states that spray should be coming out of both relief holes during idle. This indicates that the impeller is working. I see this happening on mine, but cant tell whats coming out the exaust near the propeller. <br />Even with the muff on, which does not cover the water intake hole and sprays all over the place, you are unable to tell if water is coming out of the exaust. Putting the lower unit in a barrel of h20, same result, cant tell. But my motor does have good spray from the two relief holes. <br />I wonder if there was a way you could tap into the water jacket to make a pee hole?<br />Also, does anyone have a breather cover on the front of your carb?, Foam or somekind of air filtration going into the carb? I dont have anything on the front of the carb, just wondering....thanks.....jas....

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

No need to tap the water jacket. On my 1987 50 there is a 1/8" NPT plug on the top surface of the water jacket. It's located approximately inline with the spark plugs. Mine is SS. Very easy to spot.<br /><br />There is no filter on the front of the carb.

jasper astro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will look for this when i get home. Do you run a hose with a 1/8 adapter to a hole in the side of motor? Hope this is the same with the 1990. <br />Also would re routing the water flow inhibit the motor in anyway? This sure would give peace of mind as to impellar operation status.<br />ss?.....

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, if you search this forum you will find information on how other guys have done it.<br /><br />You're not re-routing the water flow. I'm sure the 1/8 pee hole will not noticably effect the engine cooling.<br /><br />Personnaly, I ordered a water pressure gauge. I figure I'm more likely to be looking at the gauge than the back of the engine when I'm underway.

jasper astro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will look around and see what i can come up with. Looks like I will be able to connect into this 1/8 hole somehow and route it out the side of the motor. Will your pressure gauge be connected to the 1/8 hole? It seems a simple modification would do alot of good. Every motor that i have owned has had a pee hole, except this one. Relying on spray from the two relief holes is a poor way to determine good impeller operation. Then having the pee hole under water coming out with the exhaust is a blind wonder.<br />Even finding a muff that works is a problem, nothing fits, leaving water spraying everywere so you cant tell if your getting circulation? <br />Any ideas are put to use....thanks....

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

The gauge will be connect to the 1/8 hole. The kit comes with a 1/8 npt fitting.

jasper astro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where did you find this kit? and what kind of reading would you be looking for on the guage, just curious.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The guage will read different on each motor, but if you monitor it, and notice a difference from what it usually reads, you willknow to check it out.<br /><br />For what its worth, my Force 70hp with a new impeller, reads:<br />4-5 psi at idle<br />9-10 psi at 3000 rpm,<br />12-14 psi at full throttle<br /><br />A water pressure guage kit can be bought at a dealer, or at many online stores, I think iboats has one in the mall. About $58 if I remember correctly.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a Teleflex Red International Series Outboard Water Pressure Kit, Part Number 53510P. The cost was $44.99.<br /><br />I bought this gauges because it matches the Teleflex tachometer with a 20 pole setting. The Tachometer part number is 53743P and the cost was $52.95.

ricksonntag

Cadet

Hey L.I. Chuck,<br /><br />I started a different thread asking about aftermarket Tachs for my Force 50. Where did you get yours? You quoted a better price than I found when I did a Google search.<br /><br />Also, do I just simply connect this to the purple "Tach" wire that comes from my motor through the wiring harness? (I assume I must also connect a ground somewhere, yes?) Is 53743P the right model for the Force 50? (Does the Force 50 have a 20 pole stator?)<br /><br />Finally, do you know if the Teleflex is available in a surface mount form? (i.e., a case and bracket to mount on a horizontal surface). My console does not have enough room for a flush-mount gauge.<br /><br />I'm also considering a Tiny Tach, but I don't want to have to replace it in 5 years when the battery goes dead.<br /><br />-- Rick<br /><br />I'm pretty good with electronics, but very naive when it comes to engines. I assume the stator has something to do with the alternator, right? (Time to go check the Seloc manual that I just bought.)

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

My 1987 has a 20 pole stator. Look under the flywheel and count the coils, it's going to be either 12 or 20.<br /><br />This is a flush mount gauge, however it's standard size. I bought after market cases years ago to convert my automotive flush mount gauges to surface mount. I'm sure if you search around, you'll find them.<br /><br />The Teleflex website has compatibilty charts if you want to confirm the part number. I specifically ordered the Tach for a 20 pole Force application.<br /><br />I ordered the tach from www.coastalmarineonline.com.<br /><br />The purple wire is the tach wire. I haven't recived my order yet but I scoped it all out ahead of time. Again, you can confirm this in the Seloc manual.<br /><br />The stator is the rotating part of the alternator.