Chrysler outboard

Wes Wyatt

Cadet
I have a 1979 70 H.P. outboard. It runs fine at idle and low speed but when I give it the gas it dies or bogs down. It has 3 carbuertors and they are getting gas and seem to be adjusted properly. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler outboard

Hello Wes and welcome to Iboats. Could be lots of things. First thing you should do is pull the spark plugs and describe what the contacts look like. Dry, oily, black clean or whatever. Your problem could be fuel or electrical. Without more information it would be hard to guess. First thing you should do is get a service manual for this motor. Iboats sells them. Here is a link to the manual Syloc manual. If you have a compression tester you should test the compression and also post those numbers here. Most fuel problems are usually noticed at idle. Does your fuel bulb get firm when you prime it, Do you have the tank vent open when you are running it. When motor starts to stall will choking it improve or kill the enging. Try and post some of the answers to these questions. Good luck

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

As euro says, needs more info. If when looking for more info you needs to start the motor, try pumping the bulb to keep it running. If you post the rusults of that test, it would be very helpful in figuring out your problem...just a thought :)

Wes Wyatt

Cadet

Pumping the bulb does not help at half speed or at high speed. engine runs fine at idle and low speed. Compressin is fine and have installed new plugs.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It might be something as simple as a fuel pump diaphragm replacement. Easyist place to start IMHO.

Wes Wyatt

Cadet

I replaced the fuel pump diaphragm. the only difference now is when it starts to stall at high speed, choking it helps to keep it from stalling and keeps rpm's up. Are carbs next and is this for sure a fuel problem...Thanks

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's where I'd go next. If you have the Tillotson WB model carb, NAPA has the carb rebuild kit. It comes with pretty good instructions too.

Wes Wyatt

Cadet

I want to thank everyone for their input,especially Chief Petty Officer #14290. I finally rebuilt the carbs with kits from napa. It was easy enough to do myself even though I've never done it before. My motor runs like a new one and I am able to enjoy my boat again. Thanks again....Wes

Wes Wyatt

Cadet

Here's one for ya. Ihave a 1996 cajun 21' center console with a 48 gal. fuel tank. The fuel guage registers full all the time. So I pulled the sending unit out, moved the float up and down and the guage registers fine. I put the unit loosely in the tank and lifted it up and down and the it registers perfectly. I checked for obstructions and screwed the unit back in.(poly to poly). It only registers full again. Cant figure it out> Any suggestions? Thanks ....Wes

rwise

Captain

only thing I can think of is it's binding when tight. take it back apart make sure its clean and reassemble, check it at different stages and see exactly when it stops working. is there a soft gasket that could smush out?

Wes Wyatt

Cadet

I cleaned the unit and it registers fine when I put it all the way in to slowly lifting it all the way out. I even push down hard and pull up slowly and it registers all the way. I cant find anything in the tank to stop the float from falling and cannot find where it would ground out as the flange on the unit and the tank are both poly. The gasket is in good shape also. This even has the local mechanics stumped. Thanks

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it possible one of the screws is shorting out the winding. Put them in one at a time and clamp them all down a bit a time watching the fuel gauge as you go.