Force 90hp revs up after cruising & won't stay idle in water

discover

Cadet
I have a 1990 Force L-Drive 90HP. Just spent $$$$<br />Tuning and changing Parts.The motor runs Great when she is cruising.when I lower to neutral she races and revs up to 3000 or 4000 Rpm.I played with the air/fuel mixture screws and the adjusted hex nut & set the idle to 1000 RPM but she does not set right.Should I spray 10w40 oil on the large hex nuts channel , could she be sticking and not falling back to normal Idle.Why do force engines not idle properly and cut off when put into gear. I have to re-start the engine 5 times just to get off the dock.<br /><br />Thanks

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force 90hp revs up after cruising & won't stay idle in water

What parts have you changed and what was the condition before you made those changes?

discover

Cadet

Originally posted by CoachHolland:<br /> What parts have you changed and what was the condition before you made those changes?

discover

Cadet

I just bought the boat a few weeks ago, I was told that it ran well last summer. The boat was idling low and misfiring when we put in the water.<br />The Mech. changed the spark plugs and one blue power pack /coil that leads to the spark plugs.The 90hp force would not start so he changed the stator.The mech. almost gave up but he finally got it started.I took the bayliner north to the cottage hoping it would run well but she cuts out when I put it into gear.When she is cruising she ran well ,upto 35 MPH. She also trolled well .I put her in neutral and she choked.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Discover Ontario Fishing.... It's Great! :cool:

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is your control linkage working properly to the carburetor? Have you checked out small but crucial things like the inline filter, having new gas, no water in the gas, carburator air/fuel mixture adjustment, open vent to the gas tank, and fuel pump output? But sounds like the main concern should be the carburetor adjustments.

discover

Cadet

EBG thanks for the info I will check out your list at the boat tomorrow. I filled with new premium gas. how do I check if there is water in the gas?<br />carburator air/fuel mixture adjustment:Is 1000 rmp to high should I set lower? I will turn 1 full turn from the close position ... all 3 screws: The gas bulb goes a little soft when I try to start the engine, but when I am criusing she does not run out of gas or cut off.<br />I think this is an Idle problem, when I am approching the dock and I put to neutral she stops...I turn the key and she starts.Can not go fishing we mite get stuck out on the Lake,... again thanks for the help.

MarkLaird

Cadet

I know how you feel. Sounds like we might have twins!LOL<br />For me, I go the cheapest route to start and then go from there. I've notice on these engines you need good plugs. If there is water in the system try a fuel addative. Like EBG stated it does sound like your carbs need adjusting. It's pretty simple.Also, get some Seafoam to decarb the engine. So for starters try adjusting the carbs fuel/air mixture. If you have a manual it shows you how. If not, Just screw in the adjustment screw and turn back out 1 1/2 turns, Maybe a lil more if she's idling a lil rough. Then try some fuel addative.<br /><br />Make sure your plugs are not gas fouled. I know from experience that the plugs foul easy, especialy when fooling with the idle adjustment screw. I would start here. But there is a lot of different things to check and could be causing your problem. Let me know if this helps? If not we'll go from there.

discover

Cadet

MarkLaird it seems like we have both have the same boat with the same problems!No mech here wants to work on Force engines or they want big $$$ to work on them. Sunday I will adjust the carbs, I have never decarbed with seafoam is this a hard to do..I will try...sorry this boat did not come with a manual.the spark plugs are new but I will re-check them & clean. Did you get your Boat to running good yet! Thanks for your input and good luck on your boat!<br /><br />Discover Ontario Fresh water Fishing....off the Dock! :confused:

MarkLaird

Cadet

Discover, Yes my boat and your boat must of been built on the same day at the same place!..What's your serial #? Mine is 1269. I know what you mean about getting someone to work on it also! That's one of the reason I'm doing most of the repairs myself! Most are easy just getting the parts without having to rob a bank is the hard part.<br /><br />I plan on taking it out Sunday(Tomorrow). Hopefully I'll beable to report good news. (But I doubt it.) Anyway I just picked up a can of Seafoam and you can pour it in your tank. Just read the instructions first.

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your 90 L drive is anything like my 120 sportjet (and I believe they are) the big idle screw doesn't change idle speed, it adjusts the idle timing. idle speed is fixed by having the throttle plates completely closed, and setting the idle mixture screws.<br /><br />Also, the vibration of the engine will make that tower shaft go to the idle timing stop even if it doesn't easily when it is power off. As long as you can move it there by hand, it will go there while running<br /><br />Good luck

discover

Cadet

Great forum for force engines!<br />I paid $300. for the stator, $200. coil or power pack .+++ & $650. to the Mech. and drained to brand new batteries. and I still have the same problem. After she cruises or trolls and I turn off the key. It takes 10 minutes to restart.I have to hold the mixture channel down to open and drain the carbs. I cannot tell if the engine is flooded or if it needs more gas. I just took the boat 100 miles back to the Mech. Waiting to hear from him.<br /><br />Discover Boating with bayliner.. you will Love it or Hate it! :D

discover

Cadet

I really need to get a manual!<br />Q: what is the best idle speed to set high 1000 or over , or below 800 RPM. <br />Q:Do I always push in the key and use the choke or only when it is cold.<br />Q: Air/gas screw on the carb 1/2 vers 1 1/2 turns will the engine Idle higher does it allow more gas to flow? what am I trying to achive,... maybe the gas is not flowing properlly, everytime I have to restart engine I prime the ball until it is firm ... is this normal? When all these settings are setup out of the water on muffs, I don't thick it is the same as when you finished cruising at 35Mph and you bring it down to neutral,<br /><br />should I prime and give it more gas?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Hello discover. I dont know force very well but I believe you want your idle to be between 700 and 800. Idle speeds around 1000 are hard on the gears in the lower unit. When your fuel mixture screw is set at 1/2 turn out from lightly seated your are running your motor leaner then at 1 1/2 turns from lightly seated. If you are able to run motor at a slow troll this is when you want to adjust the mixture screw. you start at 1 1/2 turn counter clockwise from lightly seated. Let motor warm up. Engage in forward gear at as slow a speed as you can without motor killing. Then turn in 1/8 turn (every ten seconds)increments clock wise till motor starts to race. Then slowly turn it back until it starts to stall. The half way point between stalling and racing is where the best position is. A test to see if it is right is to gun the throttle. If it goes right away it is correct. If it hesitates then goes you are a bit too lean and you should turn it a bit counterclockwise. If it starts to stall then goes you are slightly rich and you need to turn it the other way.<br /><br />When your motor is running correctly and you are fishing and not fixing you should only have to choke it when you first start it when it is cold. The rest of the day it should start without the choke. <br /><br />Hope this helps. Good luck

discover

Cadet

Does the Selco Force outboards repair manual 1100 cover 90 hp L-drive motor ....is it all the same.. is there one for loer units.

discover

Cadet

re: carburetor setting<br />what does it mean when they say:<br />set Float Height 3/16 Carb body to float bottom

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Are you sure it is 3/16? and not 13/32 inch. There are two different carb float settings. One when it is upright and one when it is upside down. Upside down the top of the float (now on the bottom) should be 13/32 inch from the lip of the carb where the float bowl hooks up. ( outside lip next to float bowl gasket). When carb is upright it should hang down on the non hinged side 13/16 inch from the lip on the carb where the float bowl connects. IF this dont make sence post back and I will try and attach a picture. <br /><br />When you put the carb together connect a small fuel hose and blow in it with carb upright and then turn it upside down. When you turn it upside down it should be plugged. If when you in try pumping gas and the carb leaks you may have to change the upside down spec from 13/32 to 1/2 inch. I had to do this on mine. Good luck

discover

Cadet

:eek: Put the bayliner 90hp force in in water today 3/4 down in neutral and she started fine.Could not find seafoam here so I put STP carb cleaner in the tank to clean and flush the Carbutater..... (I am not sure if it is as good only a little smoke).<br />Tried to set the air/fuel mixture screw 1/8 at a time just like instructions.I set up in the middle between lean & almost stall. if I would set the idle less than 1000 Rpm she would stop when I put her in forward.I still need to hit the right spot( I have to set closer to clockwise were she is racing a bit or she stops) I will try again. Going from neutral to forward and back again 1 out of 5 trys she stops. I am going to put super 92 octane gas in the tank with 50:1 oil and see what happens.The Mech told me put better fuel. :confused: <br />Q: If she runs at 4500-5000 RPM is all 3 cylinders working or maybe 1 cylinder is still not working? :confused:

robwilde

Recruit

Unloosen the linkage between the 2 carbs if it has 2 and make sure they both return fully no grit or grime stopping full return then tighten the linkage back up sounds like a problem i had where No 1 carb was open a 1/2 mm and No 2 was fully closed this caused the engine to pick up revs in idle <br />Hope this helps<br /><br />Rob Wilde<br />1990 capri owner force 120