New to outboard motors

TennFisherman

Recruit
Just bought a flatbottom with a 4hp Force motor. (M# 43F5A S# 1250) I would like to know how to properly maintain and service it. Is there a book or website that I can access to give me this info. Also the other day I took it out and had trouble keeping it running. It starts on the first pull, then after shifting into gear and moving about 100feet it tries to die. I can keep it running by moving the choke in and out. I think it may be old fuel or bad mixture. Can someone confirm this.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: New to outboard motors

Here is a link for a manual. force manual <br />You will need to get one of these. Not many mechanics like to work on force motors. Try draining as much of the old gas out as you can. If there is any left in the gas can you should get rid of it. Mix fresh 87 octane with marine grade oil 50 to 1. Try running this and see if it clears up the problem. If not you will be looking at rebuilding the carb and the fuel pump. These are pretty simple tasks but are a lot easier with a manual

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some things to watch for: good plugs, inline filter, fresh midgrade gas, no water in the gas (have separator filter), impeller, fuel pump, setting and cleaning of carb, gear oil in lower unit, good spark, tight connections, lubing of controls, decarboning, and functioning pee hole and thermostat (if you have them.) These points should keep you busy for a while until you find out more service tasks to do. Good luck.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You should stay with 87 octane for this motor. Increasing the octane can lead to premature detonation and accelerate carbon build up.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

UL -- Well, that complex point has been debated a great deal. If you care, you could look under SEARCH. I do not think that you have spoken the last word on that subject.