Thermostat?????????

johnrolf

Seaman
My '72 35hp chrysler did not have a thermostat in it when I bought it, so I ordered a new one. The manual says it should have a grommet and a thermostat cover gasket. Neither one is there, and I don't know where to find these parts. Is there any way to rig something to work effectively or are they even necessary.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Thermostat?????????

The gasket and the grommet are necessary. Unfortunatly mercury only goes back to 1974 on 35HP chryslers. Here is a link to a 1974. You should be able to get these from your merc dealer. Even if they dont work you are out only a couple of bucks 74 chrysler 35HP

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Over at the ChryslerCrew at Yahoo franz had the same topic. I think he said to use some kind of sealant because the gasket wasn't available anymore.

johnrolf

Seaman

I put the new thermostat in and took it for a test run. Like a moron, I did not put a grommet on the thermostat. It ended up overheating, and I could not get it cranked back up. I removed the thermostat and ending up running down the battery trying to get her started back up. Is the thermostat what caused the overheat? It has a brand new impeller and water pump. Also, I haven't tried cranking it since the overheat, but it should crank right back up if nothing was majorly hurt, right? It didn't smoke or anything, just got too hot.