evinrude bolt anti corrosion gunk?

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it ok to use this on the threads of all the bolts on an outboard? Headbolt threads, waterjacket bolts, etc? I was told to use this stuff on all my bolts from a dealer. I just want to know what anyone who has experience with this stuff thinks. What about the drive shaft spline that goes into the powerhead? Are there any issues to be concerned with using this stuff? <br /><br />Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude bolt anti corrosion gunk?

depends on the "gunk" never seen gunk. I use either the brp gasket maker or pipe sealeant with teflon, unless I just use triple guard grease.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The best thing is the blue Evinrude Triple-Guard grease to keep bolts from salting up. I've removed water pump bolts in salt water after 5 years and they still are protected.<br /><br />Your "gunk" might be the factory brown colored Gasket Sealer and it is OK for protecting threads, but it does not keep the salt from building up in the shank of the bolt and freezing up after time.<br /><br />Driveshaft splines need a strong lubricant and the factory recommends their white MolyLube.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry,<br /><br />Its Brp gasket maker. The brown stuff. I've been using the brp stuff but haven't allowed enough time to pass to know if it works well enough. I'm exclusively running in salt water conditions.<br /><br />I'll check out the triple guard grease. And for the spline, Molylube? I'll try looking that one up too. <br /><br />Thanks guys.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Triple Guard on the spline

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Do not use Triple-Guard on splines.<br /><br />At least the factory water pump kits include a packet of Moly Lube.

walleyehed

Admiral

And...make sure there is NO GREASE on top of the shaft, just the splines....grease on top keeps the shaft from floating slightly as it was designed to do.