force tilt trim

kchudson

Recruit
We are boat dummies, just bought our 1st boat. 85 Bayliner Capri with an 86 Force 125 hp. The tilt/trim did not work when we bought it. The motor is now working, cleaned it up, replace a spring, etc. The trim mtr has 2 wires (blue/green) coming off of it, the boat has 3 (bl/gr/black). The wiring between the boat & trim had no relays. From reading some of the other posts learned about using lawnmower solonoids in place of relay. Used 1 solonoid for 12v- & 1 for 12v+, didn't work. Should I just use 1 solonoid, if so, how do you wire that?? If you jump the ground wire back & forth on gr & bl, it will work. <br />Next problem, when this got started, the pump was completlly dry. Have since put in ATF & the pump will raise the mtr about 1/2 way up. While working on it last nite, it went all the way up about 4-5X, then it quit & would only go up half way again. Does this mean that there is still air in the system or is something else wrong? Oh, & once the mtr was raise up it would slowly start to sink down again.<br />Thanks!!

flywoman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: force tilt trim

Kchud,<br />Unfortunately I cannot help you with your problem. I understand motors a little, but tilt/trim are a mystery to me.<br /><br />I also have a tilt/trim program and maybe you or another member could help me.<br /><br />I also have a 85 bayliner (trophy bass) with an 1986 Force 125. I have had an intermittant problem with the tilt/trim quitting altogether, but usually it would come back pretty quick. However, Wednesday it never came back. With it sitting in my driveway I can hit the tilt/trim switch and all I hear is a clicking noise in the motor. From another posting I took the idea of disconnecting the blue and green wires from inside the motor and hooking them up to a battery directly--from doing that the motor trims and tilts.<br />This suggested to me the problem was from the switch to the motor. I took off the switch and connected the wires directly to power and only got the clicking again. This tells me the switch is ok, I guess. <br />At this point I get lost. I am not sure where to go from here. Any help (and as detailed as possible since I have used the extent of my knowledge here in this post) would be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks, Mic

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

mic from where you disconnected the wires there should be 2 relays (ie the source of the clicking) one of these sounds bad. If one goes bad it will cause the motor not to move up or down. I would change both if I where you as they are like 10 bucks apiece at the auto parts store. take your old ones with you to the store and they can match them up easily.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

kchud, not gonna bet my life on it, but it appears that someone has replaced the trim motor on your boat, with a newer design. I believe your motor came with the 3 wire system.<br /><br />The blue wire is positive for raising the motor.<br />The green wire is positive when you lower it.<br />The black is the ground.<br /><br />The 2 wire motor you describe uses the blue and green wires for pos and neg. It uses two relays to switch the polarity.<br /><br />A 3 wire system need to be hooked up to a 3 wire motor.<br /><br />Don't know how you should attck this situation other than to acquire a repair manual, factory version if you can find one at a dealer or on ebay.<br /><br />The motor needs to be raised and lowered a few times, then refilled, repeat.... until all the air is out.<br /><br />The slowly sinking down issue will require the pump assembly or the hydrolic cylinder to be rebuilt or replaced. It may be as little as replacing some o-ring seals. The manual will provide leak down test procedures.<br /><br />MC tilt and trim unit, available here in the iboats mall.<br /><br />mic-- Best to start your own thread and post your question, to keep all the info in one place. Much easier for us to follow the problem and get all the info. Also much easier for you to find the answers that we give you. <br /><br />See the info I posted here :<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=33&t=004842#000005