Chrysler 10hp gettting hot and not restarting

anttman

Cadet
My father has given me a boat with a 10hp Chrysler. The head was replaced because it overheated etc.... Problem is that after the motor has been run and heats up the motor cannot be restarted until it cools down again. My father had the motor looked at by some technician and dad says the guys there dont know what is causing the problem. Any ideas...

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler 10hp gettting hot and not restarting

Sounds like the water circulation system is either plugged or not working. When the motor gets hot the metal expands and the pistons will not move. When it cools down it contracts and then it will run again. First thing I would do is verify that the impeller is in and working. Then verify that if it has a thermostat that it is working. YOu will then have to check the cooling system for any blockage. It could also be the water pump is so badly pitted that it can not push water.<br /><br />IF you can please post a model number and serial number for this motor

anttman

Cadet

i hav ethe boat now and will get the model and serial number off the engine in the morning. I have not tested it yet, but my father says the water is flowing freely while the engine is operating. when the mechanic was looking at the engine originally , wouldnt he have looked at the impeller? secondly, how do i check the thermostat is working?

anttman

Cadet

i had a chat to a local boat dealer today. he said there could be corrosion in the head?? or something like that, im not totally engine savvy.<br />however i ran the engine for at least 10 minute in the backyard this arvo and it didnt miss a beat. i even stopped the engine, and it started on the first pull.

anttman

Cadet

took it out for a ruun this arvo<br />got a couple of hundred metres before it stopped rather violently.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Anttman.....sounds like you have a bad overheat problem. Take eurolarvas' advice and check out the cooling system. Running in the backyard on muffs really don't tell you anything. Post the model number so we can maybe give some specific advice. By the by....do you run in fresh or salt water?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Chrysler water systems have a bypass. So your thermostat could be stuck closed and you would still see water coming out the telltale. I am not even sure if that motor has a thermostat but if it does try taking it out and running it without. If motor does not overheat then the thermostat needs to be replaced which is easy and not very expensive. I would also replace that impeller. They need to be replaced every other season anyways.

anttman

Cadet

THE MODEL IS A CHRYSLER 102 HC. at risk of appearing completely dumb. the large disc on top of the motor (after you take off the hood) is jammed tight and barely can be turned by hand. should this disc or wheel still be able to be turned when it is not running. i had a thought today that there might be some kind of gearbox or transmission problem and that is causing it to jam. as the engine did not seize when i had it in neutral running in the backyard, but when i put it in gear in the lake it jammed after a couple of minutes. the lake is saltwater by the way.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Is this large disc your refering to the flywheel on top. Round about 18 inch diameter with gear teeth going around it? It should be hard to turn and should only be turned in a clockwise direction. If you are turning this by hand you should have the plug wires disconnected so it wont start on you. Try taking the spark plugs out of the motor. The flywheel will turn lots easier.

anttman

Cadet

yes it is the flywheel i would assume. ill try removing the sparkplugs and moving the flywheel.

anttman

Cadet

i tried removing the plugs and moving the flywheel. the wheel has movement through about almost 180 degrees before it feels like it jams.<br /><br />i still feel as though there is something jamming like a gearwheel or something. the fact that it didnt seize in neutral, but then jammed while in gear also points to that conclusion. what do you think. is that possible. and if i undo the bolts and remove the bottom half of the shaft, will i be getting in over my head?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Removing the lower unit should be no problem. You are not over your head until you start taking the lower unit apart and even then it isnt too bad if you have a manual. If you dont have a manual I would get one or go to a local library. They usually have a copy of the Syloc or clymor manual. It is possible you have some damage in the lower unit. The impeller needs to be replaced anyway so you really should remove the lower unit. When was the last time you drained the oil in the lower unit. You should do this to see if there are any metal chunks in it. The oil should look dark brown. If it is milky white or water comes out you will need to take it apart and reseal it.

anttman

Cadet

i have never taken the unit apart as i only received thge engine two weeks ago from my father. are those manuals available in australia? anyway, i have organised to take the motor to a local tech tomorrow morning, so we shall see what he says.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Here is a link at iboats for a manual for your motor. syloc manual I am pretty sure Iboats ships overseas. If you get the motor running it would not hurt to have the manual.

anttman

Cadet

i took it to the tech today. apparently the bearing pin (i think thats what he called it) had separated from whereever it was supposed to be and jammed up between the piston and the cylinder wall. doesnt matter he can have that one for parts and hes gonna organise a evinrude 6hp for me for a couple hundred dollars.