86 Force 125 Shifting and WOT ?????

Chucksvette

Cadet
Recently bought a 1986 Bayliner Capri with the 125 Force on it. I could only get it to go to 4000 RPMs. After looking in the book it says that operating range is from 4500-5500 rpms. I had a friend who is a boat mechanic try to fix that as well as adjust the idle for me. Took it back out yesterday and it still only goes to 4000 rpms but now it wont go into reverse either. With the hood off the motor at WOT there is still more play in the cable. I've checked it out in the book and now its as clear as mud. What should the RPMs be at WOT? How do I adjust the throttle cable and the shifter cable?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 86 Force 125 Shifting and WOT ?????

Welcome to iboats.<br />A static test in the driveway should let you know if it is a linkage problem.<br />With the engine off, push the binickle to WOT in forward, go back to the motor, and inspect the throttle plates in the carbs. They should all be fully open. If they aren't, you can adjust the linkage individually for each carb (You'll see a set screw where it attahes to it).<br />If they are opening all the way, check the plugs and compression.<br />The motor may be just fine, but the prop may also have too much pitch, which will cause this symptom. See if you can borrow or rent a prop with a lighter pitch,and see how it does.<br />The motor may be pushing too much boat .

Chucksvette

Cadet
Re: 86 Force 125 Shifting and WOT ?????

Figured out the no reverse problem. The fuel line was binding up in the cable and linkage right at the neutral safety switch. The WOT problem seems to have something to do with the cable length and design. I had to "modify" where the throttle is clamped down inside the motor hood. I'll be trying it tomorrow. Its got a pretty beat up aluminum 13 1/2 by 17 pitch prop on it. Thats the next item to be addressed. Its an 18 footer used for tubing and skiing. Any suggestions on props? Around $150 limit on it.