Engine analyzer connections for rpm testing

whc290

Cadet
I have a 105 hp chrysler model 1059 HD Serial 8389. I think it is around a 1969 year. I want to be able to test my own systems with a engine analyzer etc. Since I'm a beginner at this, where do the analyzer connections go to test for rpm's. I have a distributor, 1 coil. This is a 4 cyl. motor. The instruction book for auto's states "connect red test clip to distributor (-) side of the ignition coil and the black to ground with inductive clip on lead spark plug wire." Is the connection to the (-) distributor or (-) coil?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine analyzer connections for rpm testing

Most automotive analyzers won't work on most 2-stroke outboards. Automotive coils work on 12v DC battery voltage. Outboards work on much higher magneto AC voltages. But inductive pickup timing lights and tachometers will work. Some of the more expensive timing lights have built-in tachs.

whc290

Cadet

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Most automotive analyzers won't work on most 2-stroke outboards. Automotive coils work on 12v DC battery voltage. Outboards work on much higher magneto AC voltages. But inductive pickup timing lights and tachometers will work. Some of the more expensive timing lights have built-in tachs.

whc290

Cadet

This analyzer has a built in inductive tach/dwell for 2 or 4 cycle engines. Assuming that it would work, where do you make the connections on a boat motor to test for RPM's?

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

whc290, analyzers are pretty well error proof due to design, so here's what I would do, connect the analyzer RED lead to the coil (-) which is also connected to the distributor (+), attach the black lead to ground and the inductive clamp as the manual states, usually on the coil high voltage wire to show all cylinders in parade mode. As long as you don't connect the RED or BLACK leads to the high voltage plug wires you can't hurt anything. This assumes your engine is an old points and condensor system, I wouldn't suggest using this on a modern Capacitive Discharge System since the CD unit hits the coil with 200 to 300 volts, more or less and may damage your analyzer.