73 30HP CHRYSLER POINTS CONVERSION

CHUCKYZ123

Cadet
I would like to know is if it is possible to convert this motor from points to an electronic ignition? If not were might I find the points and riding block for this motor?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 73 30HP CHRYSLER POINTS CONVERSION

There is a little electronic module you can put in there. It's an aftermarket gadget...used to be called Atom. Different name now. But I find that they make the motor much harder to start. Points should still be available from a Merc dealer, or Sierra aftermarket.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WillyBWright, I bought that gadget from boatingsolutions a couple of years ago. From what you say, I'm better off leaving it in the box. Fortunately, I also got new points and condensors at the same time. They work fine. I guess I wasted some money there but, if they stop making points, maybe I'll have a backup.

CHUCKYZ123

Cadet

Hey scotiany? where did you get the points and condensers?

scotiany

I got them from boatingsolutions.com. I've heard the Advance Auto or Autozone may have them also but, you need to bring a sample with you. Somebody in this forum said that NAPA has them too.

alcan

Commander

Hi Chucky<br />I see in my Napa marine cotolog that they offer what is called a Magnatune ignition kit 18-5101. this kit replaces mechanical points.It is for all 2cyl motors. The small modules look like some I bought a few years back for converting B&S engines. I personaly have never used them so I can't say if they are any good. I have been told by many that they are really the ticket. Napa can also get you the traditional points and condencers.

scotiany

I'm just reading the data sheet that came with the Sierra 18-5101. "fits MOST 2 CYLINDER MOTORS" and "use 1 module per cylinder". I'm wondering if I need another kit. The instructions are a little complicated for me. But, maybe someone with good electrical knowlege can figure them out.

alcan

Commander

Hi Scotinany, As I stated I have no expirence with these things. When you get it figured out though,I would be interested in a report.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That's the unit. I knew it was Magna-something. You need one per cylinder. My experience with them was that they worked okay with electric start, but I had to really spin it as fast as possible with a rope. With some motors that's easy. With that old 1960 40Hp Johnson I had three good pulls in me, then exhaustion.

@willy wright.. I had on old one that used to give three good pulls then complain of exhaustion so I exchanged her for a newer model.