boat turning hard right

stolzeraj

Cadet
Help! Last year I bought a 1994 VIP Fish 'n Ski with a 90HP Force. When the boat is under power it pulls VERY hard to the right. If I let the wheel go at full speed, the steering wheel turns to its right stop in a few seconds. The skeg is in place and centered (I've tried the full range) and the lower fin (?) looks straight. Any thoughts?<br /><br />Also, WOT is only 3800 RPM. I assume I should be getting something closer to 5000, correct? <br /><br />Thanks,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: boat turning hard right

You are severely over propped, Biplane.<br /><br />After you get an appropriate prop, set the trim tab on the anti-ventilation plate in the direction of any pull.

stolzeraj

Cadet

Thanks JB.<br /><br />The more I think about it, I'm wondering if I'm getting action from all 3 cylinders. There's a rough idle, some vibration, and lack of top end. I'm going to check compression and spark tomorrow.<br /><br />I talked with the service manager at my local boat shop today. He said that this hard pull I'm describing is 'normal'; that it's built into the boat for safety. Huh? Maybe some, but not that much pull!<br /><br />Biplane

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Go to a different boat shop. This guy will wind up causing you problems. Anyone who says this is normal is wrong and to even suggest it is a dangerous statement. It would be rediculous to suggest that when you let go of the wheel the boat turns in circles. That IS dangerous...

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Props turning in one direction create torque which causes the motor to want to pull to one direction. I agree with JB about the trim tab and also with rick about getting a new mechanic. That pull to one direction creates a dead mans curve. If you fall out of your boat and you do not have a lanyard switch the boat will keep turning in circles until it hits you in the water. I cant see how this can be a safety thing.

Lynn Self

Recruit

Originally posted by biplane:<br /> Help! Last year I bought a 1994 VIP Fish 'n Ski with a 90HP Force. When the boat is under power it pulls VERY hard to the right. If I let the wheel go at full speed, the steering wheel turns to its right stop in a few seconds. The skeg is in place and centered (I've tried the full range) and the lower fin (?) looks straight. Any thoughts?<br /><br />Also, WOT is only 3800 RPM. I assume I should be getting something closer to 5000, correct? <br /><br />Thanks,

Lynn Self

Recruit

I am having the same problem. I just bought the boat, it tops out at 65mph trimmed up which is way to fast and it pulls hard to the right under power. Almost go killed trying to ski behind it.<br />Did you get it fixed.<br /><br />LSelf