Rough idle /hard starting

mcat121212

Cadet
I have a 98 Force 120hp. Most times when I try to start, it will fail. Takes 2-3 tries and I notice even after its warm I need to choke to start. It usually fails that attempt but the very next try, it will start. Sometimes I need to throttle up and she'll start real stonge. Also, she idles ok in nuetral but will shudder or stall in gear when approaching dock or the trailer of course. My first thought was to raise the idle but I think that would just be masking the real problem. I believe its running lean. Sounds like she's starving for fuel. (not loading up or smoking excessively). Can someone please go though the low idle adjustment procedure starting with where the low idle screws are on the carbs. I think they are on top slighly facing starbord side????(My manual has not arrived yet) Thanks

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rough idle /hard starting

It could be the carb idle air mixture screw adjustment first of all. There is an adjustment screw on each carburetor. Gently turn each all the way in and then turn it out 1 to 1 1/2 full turn -- it depends on what your motor requires. If the motor will run okay, but a bit too slowly, there should be one single adjustment screw for the idle speed. It should be set around 800-900 rpm. You may have to loosen a hex nut first, before you could turn the idle speed screw. When you approach a ramp, if you keep your rpm at around 1000-1100 you may not stall. (Of course, the list of fuel problems is long -- clogged gastank pickup tube, water in the gas, old gas, plugged fuel filter, clogged gas tank air vent, faulty primer bulb, clogged or leaking lines, dirty carburetor, carburetor problems, weak fuel pump, engine full of carbon, and fouled plugs, etc.)

mcat121212

Cadet
Re: Rough idle /hard starting

Thank you sir. I will try the idle adjustment first because most of the other componants are relatively new.(filters, gas, plugs) I just decarbed two weeks ago. Good sugestion on the fuel pick up tube. That should probably be changed. Thanks