Fairly Basic Starting Problem (I Think!)

Hi We have a 1987-1986 (not sure which) that is having what we think is a starting problem. A few days ago we were having a prolem starting because the negative wire leading to the starter was melting. We went from a 14 guage or something like that to a 10 guage wire and that and it worked we cranked it for a few seconds and it fired up but we shut it down almost immediatly because we did not want to run it without water. Well today we got som flush muffs and wanted to start it up but guess what when i turn the key it only makes a faint click in the engine somewhere and that's it. What is going on?? I did leave the key in the off position for a while between the two tries. Could that have blown something or drained the battery. The starter motor didn't even try to move. Please help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fairly Basic Starting Problem (I Think!)

Hi, Harry.<br /><br />You almost certainly have a problem in the heavy wiring for the starter circuit.<br /><br />Go to the "Outboard wont start" article in Engine FAQs and do the starter circuit troubleshooting.<br /><br />If that doesn't nail it for you, come back and tell us what engine you have and what you found.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Might want to take starter apart and check the brushes. Sounds like you need a brush kit.

Hi, Today we tried it again on a fuller battery and after a few clicks it started cranking fine. But the wire (10 guage) still got hot! That was after quite a bit of cranking(first time start for the year) Would the wire get hot because of a low battery voltage? The original wire was 14-16 gauge. By the way our motor is 1987-1986? 85 hp Force. Thank your

45Auto

Commander

Sounds like your starter is pulling way too many amps. Most auto stores can check it for you if you pull it off and take it in. Probably about time for a new starter.