New boater, Basic Question

Is it all right to idle our motor out of water?<br /><br />How about running the prop out of water?<br /><br />Just for trying it out befor we get to the water and find that it has a problem?<br /><br /><br />Also are the holes coming out half way up the motor exhaust holes? or what? Should they be in water?<br /><br />How far up the motor should the water go?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Harry

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: New boater, Basic Question

Harry, don't run your motor out of the water. You will ruin your water pump. Buy a set of flush muffs at Wal-Mart for $3. Those holes are the idle relief ports for the exhaust. They vent exhaust gasses at low RPM. If you run your motor in a barrel, the water should come up to just below those holes. Hope this helps.

We are not sure that the motor will go in the water as far as you are saying it should be what is the highest that you want the motor to be out of the water for normal operation?<br /><br />Thanks again!

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

put in water deep enough to at least cover the planes by a few inches....that would be safe...yeah Rat?

Thank you. This is a homemade boat and we are waiting for the regestration to come through from the state, as soon as this goes through we will go and try it out and see how low it floats.<br /><br />Hopefully it is low enough.<br /><br />Let you know when we try it.<br /><br />Thanks Harry

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

According to the Seloc manual. Never run the engine without a prop anytime.

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe he was refering to running the prop out of water...and idle out of water.<br /><br />But still the Seloc manual does show a very intersting series of pictures showing what will happen to the impeller of your water pump at various rpms if you should decide to do this. My neighbor down the street from me just bought a mid 80's bayliner. Really a nice looking boat. He and a friend were trying to get it tuned and ready for water. I was in my side yard and heard them running the motor (o/b). It sounded very strange to me...kind of tinney. Out of curiousity i poked my head from around the side of the house....guess what i saw. That is right NO BARREL OF WATER. This DRY tune-up went on for maybe 15 minutes or so. Poor lil' impeller never stood a chance :)

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Grant1973, interesting story. Too bad you didn't have the video camera rolling.

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

flush muffs.......never tried those.<br /><br />can that totally replace having to drop prop in a barrel? can you still run the prop with muffs on?

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes. They cover the intake ports on the sides of the lower unit and hook up to the garden hose. The impellor vanes in the water pump are rubber and rub on the waterpump case which is made of steel. Water lubricates these vanes. Running out of water for even a minute will cause them to start melt on break off. The fragments can then lodge in the water passages of the motor and cause it to overheat. Run it at home either on muffs or in a tank with water covering the intake ports.