1986 force 125 starting trouble

Dave Pearson

Cadet
we can innitially start our motor at the dock. while underway, it runs good. After turning the motor off,it is hard to get it restarted. The starter motor initially cranks, turns fly wheel about one turn and stops. We have new wire lead connectors to the battery, new battery, fairly new spark plugs. it seems as thought the starter motor bogs down trying to start. It seems as though the starter motor gets a little hot after several attempts to start as well. What could it be. thank you Dave.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 force 125 starting trouble

Welcome to iboats, Dave.<br />It sounds like the starter is dying. They tend to act like that just before they quit werking completely. It can be rebuilt, or you may opt to replace it with a new one, because the cost to rebuild is nearly as much. Before replacing it tho, try jumping the solenoid with a good-quality jumper cable, butr watch out for sparks. If it works better than thru the key, you may need to replace the solenoid too. They do not hold-up well to the heavy current demands of a dragging starter. But have the battery load-tested in place. Any good auto shop can provide this service, and many auto parts stores now provide this service free of charge. It tests the starter and solenoid also.<br />Make sure the leads from the battery and solenoid are clean.

mattldrive

Recruit

if you determine it is the starter i found a rebuild kit on ebay for cheap(less than 20$)and rebuilt mine...alot cheaper than the 230$it would have cost me to buy a new starter

Dave Pearson

Cadet

Hey thanks everyone for the help, this is a great site! Is there a trouble shooting guide for the high rpm cut out? It seems as though I'm having that trouble too. If there is a problem with the fuel pump. Is that usually a replaced or repaired item. Thanks, Dave