Can I change!!

bravo2

Cadet
I have a 1976 Chrysler 55HP outboard, it has 2 points & condensers under the flywheel and 2 externally mounted coils on the side of the block. One set of the points keeps going bad. I have replaced the points and condenser twice and have even tried to some fine sand paper between the points. The sand paper does a temporary fix but within days is bad again. Can I change this old troublesome system over to a more modern system, such as a eletronic ignition. Or if you have any other suggestions PLEASE feel free to intervine.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Can I change!!

When you shut your motor off do you ever leave the key in the on position. I have heard that this is a good way to burn out points.

alcan

Commander

Hi Bravo<br />Could you post the model# of your motor please. This will allow me to verify the type of ignition system it uses. My first thought is you may have a bad condencer?

bravo2

Cadet

Originally posted by eurolarva:<br /> When you shut your motor off do you ever leave the key in the on position. I have heard that this is a good way to burn out points.
Thanks for the info. I will make sure the key is off from now on.

bravo2

Cadet

Originally posted by bravo2:<br />
Originally posted by eurolarva:<br /> When you shut your motor off do you ever leave the key in the on position. I have heard that this is a good way to burn out points.
Thanks for the info. I will make sure the key is off from now on.
The model # is 556HJ

bravo2

Cadet

Originally posted by alcan:<br /> Hi Bravo<br />Could you post the model# of your motor please. This will allow me to verify the type of ignition system it uses. My first thought is you may have a bad condencer?
My model# is 556HJ.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Alcan,got a question. You thought the condenser might be going bad. Are these condensers a standard automotive type which one could buy at Advance Auto/Autozone?

bravo2

Cadet

Originally posted by scotiany:<br /> Alcan,got a question. You thought the condenser might be going bad. Are these condensers a standard automotive type which one could buy at Advance Auto/Autozone?
I bought the new points and condenser sets from Napa. Napa carries outboard engine parts, I dont know if Advanced Auto or Autozone carries outboard engine parts. I dont think that it is standard automotive type. The type of condenser that I have under the flywheel is more commonly seen on a older model 5HP briggs & stratton lawn mower engine.

bravo2

Cadet

Originally posted by bravo2:<br />
Originally posted by alcan:<br /> Hi Bravo<br />Could you post the model# of your motor please. This will allow me to verify the type of ignition system it uses. My first thought is you may have a bad condencer?
My model# is 556HJ.
Alcan, Itold you yhe wrong model #, THE CORRCET MODEL # IS 557HG, does this make any difference????