1995 Force not turning over....please help!

jmouse76

Recruit
I have spent about an hour reading through these forums trying to find an solution to this problem and have had no luck. I have a 95 Force 120hp that will not turn over. It started doing this at the end of last season and I'm still not having any luck with it. I have changed the starter, the starter cylenoid, and all the wires that go to and from the cylenoid, and still nothing. The battery is fully charged, and everything else on the boat works (lights, radio, trim for motor, etc.) All I get when I try to start it is a 'click' coming from the motor, and nothing else. I have never had any problems at all with this motor and it has always ran just fine. This has me completely boggled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Force not turning over....please help!

When you get the click does the wires get hot? Still sounds like a solenoid problem. Make sure motor is in neutral and that the neutral switch is engaged. I am not sure what color wire goes from the neutral interlock switch to the solenoid on a force is but on a chrysler it is yellow and black. Hook the postive lead of a DC volt meter to this wire and the black to ground. When key is turned to the start position it should read 12 vdc. If you do not get voltage verify the neutral switch is engaged.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have just gotten through solving a similar situation. One option is to use a good battery, perhaps using your car's as it is running. Attach the red jumper cable to the wire connection stud on the boat starter and the other end to the car's positive battery post. Next attach the negative cable to the negative post on the auto and last, attach the same black cable to the outboard motor block. If your starter is good, it should turn over right away, so do not be surprised. If it does not, you have a bad starter, needing rebuilding or replacement -- not all new batteries and starters are good. Another step is to take your battery to an auto shop (NAPA) for a draw test to make sure it is good. Afterwards, tighten the battery connections REALLY WELL. If both the battery and the starter are good, and it still will not function, you have a problem with your wiring and switches -- corrosion, open circuit, which need to be checked step by step -- ignition switch, neutral safety switch, starting circuit fuse, solenoid, battery cables, etc. But make VERY sure that the basics are okay -- the battery and the starter.

D

DJ

Can you rotate the flywheel by hand?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Jmouse.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Have you tried the "Outboard wont start" troubleshooting from the Engine FAQ section?<br /><br />Doesn't sound like it or you would have more to tell us.<br /><br />Check it out, follow the directions. If you don't have it running then, come back and tell us what you found.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I totally agree with JB on this. I keep forgetting the FAQ. Hooking this up to a car can be a tricky thing. If your positive cable falls off your starter when your car engine is running and it grounds out to the motor you could do some serious damage to your alternator on your car. If you use a car battery to test the outboard disconnect one lead from your car to eliminate any load from the car. Problem with jumper cables is they dont give you much contact surface and you may not be able to draw enough current from them to crank motor.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

On second thought, it would be better to use an unattached battery (i.e. to a car), as EL suggests, in order to test the starter with the help of jumper cables. But my recommendation, based on research on the subject, as well as on practical experience, may provide a quick answer, as opposed to following complicated formulas from the start. Let's keep in mind that the original question was about a motor "not turning over." Of course, DJ's suggestion is the best of all points to start with.

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As per DJ, I would be curiuos if the starter motor cogs are engaging with the flywheel...Perhaps your engine is seized or not enough power to rotate it. Two different troubleshooting directions.

jmouse76

Recruit

Thanks for all the responses!! I didn't expect to get this many suggestions this quick. But to answer DJ's question, yes you can turn the flywheel by hand. I really don't think that the engine is seized. It seems to be more of a wiring problem or maybe even a grounding problem. Unfortunately, it has been raining here for the past 2 days straight so I haven't been able to get out there and wrench on it but I will definitely have to start this weekend. I think I will start with EBG's option and hook up some jumper cables directly to the starter and see if that works. I have already replaced the solenoid with a brand new one so I don't think that is the problem. It may be something as simple as the battery cable being bad. Thanks for all the responses and I will be sure to check back with any updates!

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the voltage is low at the starter relay, I would susect a battery, connection or cable issue before the relay. Otherwise, clean the connections between the relay and starter motor. When you do, remove the starter moter and clean all connections on the mounting brackets as well as the hot lead. The mounts are the ground point. Of course, you could be looking at a starter motor rebuild.