!Help! Changing my impeller for the first time.

jdparsons1

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1987 85hp Force outboard and i just pulled off the lower unit to change the water pump impeller. In my seloc manual it shows that there should be three parts that come out with the drive shaft on the spline, a spacer, rubber boot, and sealing ring. Im not seeing the ring anywhere, just the spacer and boot. I was curious if maybe they integrated the boot and seal as an aftermarket item and the book only shows stock or am i missing the ring? Here is a pic of what was on the end of the spline. <br /><br />
IMG_1124.jpg

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: !Help! Changing my impeller for the first time.

Just a suggestion. You could look at another diagram at mercruiserparts.com and see what they show.

jdparsons1

Cadet

Originally posted by EBG:<br /> Just a suggestion. You could look at another diagram at mercruiserparts.com and see what they show.
I just looked up the diagram but its too small to really tell what is there. Anyone else have an idea if this is all i need or if im missing a piece?

Jeremy <br /> just wounderind what you found out about the ring. I have the same problem with a 1981 75 hp.

Bayview

Cadet

Hi, I changed my 1988 force 85 horse for the first time last month and I found the same as you. I have a clymer manual and there is no mention of a third part. I have had it out on the water and it runs great.

Estaver

Cadet

The items pictured are similar to the arrangement I have on my Force 50 7x7B. I purchased the replacement a few years ago when I first replaced my impeller, as the rubber part was torn. The only pieces in the kit were the brass ring and the boot. My brass ring locates at 2 inches below the crank case spline with the cup up and the boot nested in the cup.(50HP Model) This assy. seals the crank end spline area. When reinstalling the drive shaft into the crankshaft splined hole, do not apply any more than a very light film of grease, otherwise an hydraulic lock will form and the drive shaft will not fully enter the crank spline due to trapped air.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Put it back together...I don't think ANYBODY has ever found that elusive sealing ring. Last I heard it's put in at assembly and is still WAY up in the female part. Don't sweat it. The rubber part you have will seal out any water that would only cause corrosion in the splines. And coat the whole shaft with marine grease too. Long shaft (25inch) one piece driveshafts have be known to snap in half at that top area...my 1988 125 broke one.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Estaver:<br /> . When reinstalling the drive shaft into the crankshaft splined hole, do not apply any more than a very light film of grease, otherwise an hydraulic lock will form and the drive shaft will not fully enter the crank spline due to trapped air.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Need to stress that what Estaver said is quite true...EASY on the spline grease!