outboard after-use jobs

johnnythehat

Cadet
I have always believed it's a good idea to give my outboards a good spray inside the cowling with marine CRC after each use (as well as the usual flushing, wash etc). I am careful not to get it on any rubber fittings, or the starter parts. Does anyone have any comment/criticisms of this? Cheers

BillP

Captain
Re: outboard after-use jobs

Which CRC are you using? 6-56 is a lubricant and long term use will eventually dry out electrical wire insulation and make it brittle. That's what I was told by the CRC tech line. They said to use 2-26 for powerheads. I've been using for the last 15+ yrs and no problems. It drys clear and doesn't leave a thick film like their heavy duty corrosion spray does. Once a year my powerheads get a heavy saturation on everything under the cowl. I use one can per motor...spray, let dry, spray, let dry, etc until the can is gone. It keeps powerheads looking perfect.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Like Bill said. Use the 2-26 and you will be O.K.<br />Tim

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I've used WD40 for YEARS........zero problems. Spray everything down and cover it up.

Pony

Rear Admiral

WD40 can be a fish attractant as well.

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by johnnythehat:<br /> I have always believed it's a good idea to give my outboards a good spray inside the cowling with marine CRC after each use (as well as the usual flushing, wash etc). I am careful not to get it on any rubber fittings, or the starter parts. Does anyone have any comment/criticisms of this? Cheers
When you say you flush after each use is that with the motor running or just with the water on?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lanoguard is good too, it's made from lanolin, which comes from wool, so it's reasonably enviromentaly freindly too.

johnnythehat

Cadet

Originally posted by XcellR8:<br />
Originally posted by johnnythehat:<br /> I have always believed it's a good idea to give my outboards a good spray inside the cowling with marine CRC after each use (as well as the usual flushing, wash etc). I am careful not to get it on any rubber fittings, or the starter parts. Does anyone have any comment/criticisms of this? Cheers
When you say you flush after each use is that with the motor running or just with the water on?
I always run the motor

Moody Blue

Captain

OK you've gotten my curiosity up and I have to ask, what is CRC 6-56 or 2-26? What do you mean by spray the inside of the cowling?

XcellR8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

[/quote]I always run the motor [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />For how long?

BillP

Captain

CRC6-56 & 2-26 are aerosol sprays similar to WD40...but higher quality and at 2-3x the price. WD40 lasts weeks, CRC lasts months. They dry/lubricate/protect. Like already posted, 6-56 will harm plastics in the long term and 2-26 won't. I think 6-56 has more dryers.<br /><br />Take the motor cowl OFF and spray the powerhead thoughout...spray everthing you can get to or see. Unhook the battery first and reconnect later when the spray is dry. It leaves a coat of light mineral oil that drys tack free and keeps the elements out. Your powerheads will stay cosmetically like new this way.

johnnythehat

Cadet

Originally posted by XcellR8:<br />
I always run the motor [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />For how long? [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />About five minutes. It's the first thing I do when we are up the ramp and have our turn at the tap. I just leave it running on the muffs while we empty the boat, get the road cover out etc.