1973 Chrysler forward speed trouble

javetch

Cadet
My prop spins fine in forward and reverse, but after about 5mph in forward gear my boat stops, my engine revs, prop is spinning but I am sitting still. Please help. Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Chrysler forward speed trouble

Prop may be turning, but the hub could still be spun. Make a mark with a permanant marker on the inner prop hub and the prop housing. Take it out again and run it. See if the marks still align. If not, time to have the prop re-hubbed. Let us know what you find. When under a load is when they tend to start slipping..

javetch

Cadet

Thanks rickdb1boat, Bought a new prop. Funny thing they have no way of rehubbing my old prop locally because it's so old. However they had an original 1973 brand new prop still in the box and sold it to me for half price. Thanks alot for your help.

AtlDawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey I'm curious if the hub was spun on your prop. If so, were you able to spin it by hand with the engine not running and in gear. Mine is doing something similar but I think it's not engaging completely into gear. I put mine into gear on the trailer and no matter how hard I try to turn the prop, it won't spin or flex.

javetch

Cadet

Yes the prop was spun. No I could not turn it by hand. Like rickdb1boat says when under heavy load (horse power) the prop will start slipping. What year is your motor. The reason I ask Chrysler changed props and they could not rehub mine (too old).

AtlDawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1973 70 horse. With the motor off, I put it in gear and can't turn the prop by hand no matter how hard I try. But after 5 mph on the water the engine revs but the boat stops. You think it could still be a spun prop?

javetch

Cadet

Absolutley, that is exactly what my motor did. I replaced my prop and everything is fine now!

javetch

Cadet

By the way my boat motor is also a 1973.

AtlDawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jackpot! No matter how much I didn't believe the hub was spun...it was! Got it reshaped and hubbed and cruised the lake like a champ. If only I could find the fish. Thanks guys!!

CHARGER

Seaman

I did the same on my 70s 90HP I had a guy make a mould of my rubber bush and make a new one out of better material and put it back in not a problem cost me $20 AUD and I was back in the water not a problem, there is no reason why you couldnt remake the bush, anyway glad too hear the problem is solved

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Amazed at some of you people. Do you think you can stop a 3 horsepower lawn mower by grabbing the blade? Now imagine 70hp. There is a interference fit on that prop that goes with age. If it can't be re-hubed, don't toss it...try getting creative and working in some super glue between the rubber and hub. You would be surprised of the holding power, and still should spin if ya hit something.