Speedometer Problem

johnmd

Cadet
I have a 92 Force 120 HP outboard mounted on a 92 Bayliner and the speedometer has stopped working. Could some one give me an idea where to start look for the problem. Would it be an electrical problem or would it be a mechanical problem.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Speedometer Problem

Hi John, look under the dash and see if the back of the unit has a rubber hose connected to the middle, if it's a rubber hose then you have what I call a vacuum speedo, as the boat moves through the water the water passing the pick-up unit creates a vacuum in the rubber hose which causes the speedo needle to move just like an engine vacuuum guage. The pickup unit is mounted on the bottom of the transom. The problem could be a split/cracked/disconnected hose, a dirty/clogged pick-up unit especially if you boat in salt water. That's where I would start looking. Good luck,,,

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Before you spend a lot of money on your speedometer system, think about getting a GPS. All they require is a change of AA batteries once in a while.

johnmd

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I have a rubber hose but it is connected to the back of the lower unit so I will check to see if that is dirty.

johnmd

Cadet

I found the problem. The speedometer hose came apart in the lower unit.