Reed Valve Maintenance

rhedges

Seaman
Is it OK to flip reed valves that seem to be bent? Or will this just cause problems down the road?<br /><br />What would cause only 3 out of 4 reeds on one of the cylinders to get bent? Just curious if that is a sign of something other than wear and tear.<br /><br />It's an '85 U.S. Marine Force 50hp

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Reed Valve Maintenance

Hey man,I have A Seloc man.and it says--Observe that reeds are not preloaded or standing open. satisfactory reeds will not adhere to the reed block surface.but still there is not more than the specifieced (.01(in))clearance between reed and reed block.it also has a pic.(gota love pics)and says if daylight can be detected when the reed block is held up to sunlight,the reed pedal is distorted and the rees must be replaced. I hope this helps,FIXIN

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

fixin, agreed. Good choice in manuals too. You'll be an admiral in no time.

rhedges

Seaman

Thanks, there is definately daylight coming though a couple of em. Hope I can find the parts.

JGKoenig

Seaman

Reeds are easy to find. Just look around on the net. Boyesen also makes them, but they can make the motor run a little rich at high speeds (according to boyesen) They are 2 stage reeds so they work well at low and high speed.

rhedges

Seaman

I just put in an order for gaskets, reeds and such at dougrussell.com. I thought about Boyesen, but I figured I would get everything from one place.<br /><br />Thanks Fellas