1990 Force 90HP powerhead replacement

hydnophora

Recruit
I have a 1990 Bayliner with a 90HP Force outboard. One of the piston rings snapped for some reason. Remarkably, the cylinder wall was barely scratched, finger nail just catches on the scratch. <br /><br />This motor never really ran too strong for me. It seemed to always have one small problem or another. Hard starting, stalling going from fwd to rev., occasionally it would just stop for no reason, but other times it would run great. Kind of scary taking her out on the bay with these type of habits.<br /><br />She sat all last year and I didn't winterize it. I know, I know. Well I am really going to try and get the boat out on the water this year. Can anyone give me some advice about replacing the powerhead on this engine? Is it worth it? Is it very involved, beyond a normal engine job? Any special "things"? Thanks for any help.

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 Force 90HP powerhead replacement

If the pistons are not hurt and the cylinder walls would clean up okay I would take the pistons out and do a hone job on the cylinders. If they clean up okay and the bore is close to specs put in new rings and gaskets. I think you can remove the intake and the head and remove the pistons. You cannot do it on the Mercs but I "think" you can on that one. If you get good compression then put a kit in the carbs and adjust them and you would probably be good to go. The one good thing about a Force / Chrysler is they are not very complicated. Easy to work on.