Evaluating starter motor on Sportjet 120

K Atkins

Recruit
After purchasing a new marine battery (1000 cold cranking amps) and fully charging it, I was able to get only 5 starting attempts lasting 10 sec. each before the charge seemed to drop to the point of not being able to turn over the engine. I experienced this with a new battery last year also. At the ramp I checked the positive battery lead and the positive lead from the solenoid and both were getting pretty hot.<br /><br />I checked the service manual and followed the "starting circuit troubleshooting flow chart". All tests were good, and I spent a little extra time on the solenoid to no avail. I removed the starter, and when hooked up to the battery it seemed to run fine.<br /><br />So, is the starter going bad and unable to develop enough torque to crank the engine? Is it possible the stock wires are too high of a guage and causing too much resistance?<br /><br />Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evaluating starter motor on Sportjet 120

Howdy, Boat-rx.<br /><br />Your symptoms are most commonly caused by corrosion in high current connections, most common point of corrosion is the battery ground cable to engine block connection.<br /><br />I suggest that you remove all battery cable connections and the solenoid to starter cable. Clean all terminals thoroughly and reinstall.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. Good luck. :)