impeller question, 120/merc/force

fidnee

Cadet
hello,<br /> I have a 97 120 force/merc. I am posting here because its a merc lower unit,. i have a splins shaft and shift, got the lower unit off and put new impeller in. Question is...impeller was same size as old one, this one went in..it is very tight, fist time doing this, not sure if its suppose to be so tight...when start it up(neutral) with the muffs, no water comming out pee hole..any suggestions, thanks<br /> dave

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: impeller question, 120/merc/force

Moving to Chrysler and Force Questions

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure the impeller key is in properly? Run a wire up through the pee hole. It may be obtructed. Does it appear to be overheating? Can you hold your fingers on the head without having to remove them right away? Make sure you have enough water to the muffs.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

First when you installed the impeller you should lube the inside of waterpump with lower unit oil. Place impeller on shaft with key. Lower water pump down to impeller. While turning the drive shaft clocwise push impeller down until fully seated.<br /><br />When you first start it could take a couple of minutes before thermostat opens and water comes out tell tale if it has one. If you are not seeing water your thermostat could be stuck closed. Are you sure you got the water tube installed into the grommet going to the power head?

fidnee

Cadet

yes, the key was aligned correctly. I didnt lube the inside of the housing, but I did take the lower unit off again tonight, so I can do that if it is a must, and I only ran it for about 10-15 seconds, i had enough water going thru, but i was getting nervous since i didnt see the pee hole working, and i didnt want to burn anything out.<br /> dave

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I started mine up last August for the first time in 20 years, I didn't get any water for about 45-60 seconds. Then it started pumping real good. I had lubed the impeller with vasoline and it worked quite well. Make sure the water tube is hooked up correctly. BTW mine's a Chrysler 55 but, it's similar to your LU.