Power Loading

DocG2828

Seaman Apprentice
If this is in the wrong forum...sorry!<br /><br />From what I could read on here, apparently I might be power loading my boat onto the trailer. The marina I store at does the launching for us. So being totally new to boating, I just follow their directions. When loading, I line the boat up on center, and get it between the carpeted bars on the trailer, and it pretty much centers itself if its a bit off. But then the guy has me power it up all the way to the bumpstop, and he attaches the hook and strap without any wenching. <br /><br />What are the pros and cons of this? I don't want to damage my boat just cuz this is the way they want to do things since it seems faster. The guy also doesn't have to get in the water, he just stands on the trailer. I've already noticed some negatives since the hull of my boat has some nicks and scuffs right where it hits the bowstop. Any suggestions?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power Loading

Nicks or dings near the bow stop are not due to power loading unless you are "flipping" the bow stop over by hitting it too hard. I saw this note on another post of yours as well. Can you post a pic? Some types can be flipped and others cannot. This should be a very easy thing to fix.<br /><br />Back to power loading . . . the issue is not really your boat, but the condition of the ramp. If the ramp is paved waaaay past where you load (deeper) then it is probably not an issue. Many ramp's concrete ends just past where the truck backs in, so if you use power to load the boat, the prop wash and currents underneath everything undercuts the launch ramp and you end up with a big drop off. This is why most people don't like it. If it is the marina asking you to do this, then I guess I would play along. I used to use what is called a floater bar which is basically a trailer with no winch, so I got used to floating her all of the way up.<br /><br />What I do now is idle onto the trailer just so she "sticks". Then I use the winch to gently crank her up as I have the tow vehicle operator back down slightly as I winch her up. This is mainly done to save the winch and my arm, not the boat . . . ;)

DocG2828

Seaman Apprentice

I'll try to get some pics of the chips and area of the trailer next time I'm out. Guess if they want me to power load, then that is what I'll continue to do. I just make sure the drive stays wet, but its all good.

studlymandingo

Commander

I very rarely power load. I have a rope at the bow and one at the stern. Since I frequently load by myself, I tie the boat off to the dock, back the trailer down until the fenders are just underwater, use the ropes to gently guide the boat to the trailer, hook the winch strap to the bow hook and pull her on in. Of course I don't pull out at the marina, so I guess you should follow their directive. Enjoy your new boat!!

sloopy

Commander

Marina owners hate it! It just chews up the ramp area. You need to know how to do it well, you should not be at power for more than 2 seconds. I usualy keep the trim high but not in the trailer position, then I get snug on the trailer while at idle power, then with a quick plurp I shoot the bow up and get the boat on the trailer. I have done this with hundreds of boats (I used to work at a marina) and it does very little damage to the ramp.

DocG2828

Seaman Apprentice

Heck....these marina owners seem to like it I guess. That's how I do it...manuever in line with the trailer and drift up it in neutral, then give it some throttle till it bumps up and he attaches the bow chain....all with the trim tilted up about half way. Then I shut her down. I guess I'll just let things be since this is how they have me do it. Thanks for the input guys!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Power loading is a bit too dangerous for me. If you are not precise, you bust a prop, miss the winch stand and hit the truck, rip the hull open, or trash the lower unit. Does it save time?<br /><br />I once saw a fellow "power retrieve" his boat. When the boat was loaded onto the trailer, the van did not have enough traction or power to make it up the ramp. He backed the trailer down into deeper water, gunned the boat motor and floored the van. The made it that time!

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I suppose it's ok to do if the water is deep enough at the launch site. Most of my launch sites aren't deep enough to power load.

Realgun

Commander

I think if the trailer is setup correctly and your ramp is at a good angle the boat floats almost to the post. Mine does. I have never had to power up the trailer to get the boat loaded even on shallow ramps. About 6 turns of the crank and the bows tight to the post. I have never had more than a few feet out on the winch line.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i do both, it depend on the ramp and weather conditions.