Just bought new smart tabs

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
After doing some research on the subject I broke down and bought some new smart tabs for my boat, I have read the install instructions and it seems pretty simple. But what I wanted to know if there are any tips or pointers from anybody who has had experience with them. Any comments would be appriciated. My boat is a 16' open bow with a 75 HP Evinrude.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just bought new smart tabs

After you drill the mounting holes (per instruction) cut the opening with a tapered counter sink bit. Then when you drive the screws in, you do not cause the surrounding gelcoat to 'lift' outward. Even though they give you the sealing tape to use, I would stuff the holes with 3M 4200 before you run them in. (use their tape as well)<br /><br />Always remember, measure twice and drill once. If you have any questions about the tab placement, call nautijohn b4 you drill.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You will be thrilled with them. I have them on an Alumacraft Navigator 165CS with a 75 Merc. Boat stays on plane at 12 MPH and literally jumps out of the hole. Best thing since sliced bread.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Upinsmoke:<br /> You will be thrilled with them. I have them on an Alumacraft Navigator 165CS with a 75 Merc. Boat stays on plane at 12 MPH and literally jumps out of the hole. Best thing since sliced bread.
This is an understatement!<br /><br />I have never in my life time ever seen a product that gives such a dramitic change right out of the box! The only thing I can compare it to is when you put sway bars on a car that didnt have them in the first place. Its a deffinate :eek: OMG, the first time you take your boat out after installing them.<br /> :eek:

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Well Guys; <br />What do I say but thanks for the "attaboys". We are very happy that you all are pleased with the results of our Smart Tabs and Mobster Tabs.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Just got them in the mail today!! Cant wait to get them on the boat. Where should I place them. I have a v-bottom boat with 75 HP evinrude. The transom is not totally flat, near the ends (outside) of the boat there is an aprox. 1 to 2" lip near the top where the actuator would attach with the 1 to 2 " difference from the plate itself. Where is it better to place them inside closer to the motor (with proper clearance of course) or toward the outside of the boat. I can get mine about half way between the outside of the boat and the motor without the one to two inch difference being a problem.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Pictures are worth a 1000 words npd. We can't begin to give you a suggestion without seeing your transom.<br /><br />They do, basically, want to be as far outboard as you can place them.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Just took the pics, here they are

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

2.jpg
<br /><br />
1.jpg
<br /><br />
3.jpg

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I would mount them as far outside as possible,just so the top of the actuator misses that lip on the transom..

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Come in from the outside edges of the transom about four to five inches. Attache the plates to the bottm ov the transom about 1/2" up from the bottom of the hull. Attach the actuator transom bracket to the shallow extended part of the transom. Don't worry about the step in the transom. you will have plenty of adjustment.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

"the shallow extended part of the transom"<br />what do you mean by this?<br /><br />The rest of what you said basically follows the included instructions. Should I just follow them and not worry about the 1" step in the transom, And come in the four to five inches you suggest and put the actuator bracket on the step of the transom and adjust accordingly?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

npd;<br /><br />The top part of the actuator can be mounted in either position.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help guys!! The tabs are this weekends project, I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You will really like what they do.<br />Just remember,measure,measure and measure again before drilling holes.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

WOW these things work AS ADVERTISED!! Thanks for all the help. Only took me about an hour.