Beginner - OMC 6 gallon metal gas tank question

michael.klein

Recruit
Hi there,<br /><br />I have two 6 gallon gas tanks - one metal and one plastic. The plastic one works fine. The metal one is fine as long as it is connected.<br /><br />The problem I am facing with the metal gas tank is that it will leak gas from the connection when not in use. I can open the tank and hear the pressure relieved and it will stop leaking from the connection - but its just a matter of time before it will start again. It doesn't matter if the tank is completely full or nearly empty - it behaves the same..<br /><br />Is there anything I can replace or do differently to prevent this...<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Michael Klein

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Beginner - OMC 6 gallon metal gas tank question

I'm pretty sure there's a spring loaded needle valve,+ seat in there,.....<br /><br />My Guess is the O-ring or the Seat is damaged,.... Probably really Not Worth Fixing,....<br /><br />New Tanks are Pretty Cheap........And Spilt Gasoline is Dangerous...............

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to walmart and buy a tank and a omc fitting, probably in the $20 range for both.

michael.klein

Recruit

As far as Split Gasoline being dangerous - do that mean you would recommend getting a single 12 gallon tank?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Does the cap have a little vent screw on the top? If so try it with the screw turned out if it's not, this should prevent pressure from building in the tank. Probably want to go with a new plastic one anyway for safety reasons, the metal one must be getting old?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Not "split" but "spilled" Bob.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

welcome to iboats, michael. <br /><br />The fitting on the tank can be replaced - screw the old one off & the new one on - somebody correct me - I recall using pipe dope on the metal tanks - not sure if teflon tape will work with gas. The plastic tanks don't need anything just screw it on.<br /><br />If it's seeping out where the fitting enters the tank - you might be able to find a replacement o-ring or something. My experience, after 25 years or so those tanks start to corrode inside & clog your carburetors. Plastic is better - might not last as long but they're cheaper.