Grease???

andydmartin

Cadet
What all needs to be regularily greased on a boat? How often? Do I grease the hydraulics for the sun deck? Do I grease any part of the engine components or steering? How much grease to you squeze into the trailer bearings?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Grease???

I would say grease every fitting you can find every couple months.I grease my trailer bearings about every 500 miles..7or8 pumps with a hand grease gun.If the trailer is new to you or used i would pull the hubs and check things out.Nothing is worse than changing bearings on the side of the highway.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also, periodic check lug nuts. a loose lug nut will ruin the wheel and hub. periodically totally remove the lug nuts and reinstall. if you have a flat on it make changing much easier. breaking a rusted lug bolt on the side if the road ain't good.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I finally bought a breaker bar for the lug nuts. I haven't used it yet but I had visions about being on the side of the road with a flat and not being able to get the lug nuts off.

Twidget

Commander

You need to grease the steering linkage at the motor also. There is nothing as emberassing as launching the boat, backing off the trailer and finding you cant do anything but circle.(voice of experience here)

andydmartin

Cadet

Originally posted by Twidget:<br /> You need to grease the steering linkage at the motor also. There is nothing as emberassing as launching the boat, backing off the trailer and finding you cant do anything but circle.(voice of experience here)

andydmartin

Cadet

Are these normally the two little fittings near the out drive? I have a mercruiser bravo 1.

andydmartin

Cadet

Thanks for the info...Its simple stuff that I wouldn't know or may not think about yet. (Trying to do it before I pay for it!!)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On greasing Bearing Buddies on your boat trailer.<br /><br />I blew my axle grease seals by putting too much grease pressure on my buddies on one boat trailer.<br /><br />They are supplied with a spring loaded disc which contains the zerk. The proper position is to apply grease till the disc moves midway toward you. As the grease is absorbed into the axle, the spring pressure will push the disc toward the inside. Add more grease till centered.<br /><br />Continue this till it quits moving.. May take several trips to the water before it stops. You are full then.<br /><br />If the disc remains centered, water isn't going to get in because the whole thing is full of grease.<br /><br />I used to service mine annually by completely removing everything, washing, reinstalling, and regreasing.....with a new seal. Have a different type now so I don't have to.<br /><br />Grease should be recommended for boat trailers..Pennzoil has it as does Lubriplate to name 2.<br /><br />One word of caution. If you have buddies and remove them, be sure the mating surfaces between the hub and buddy are clean, dry, and free of grease. Also insure that you drive the buddy completely on to the point where it butts against the axle.<br /><br />I threw one off one time (different trailer than the seal problem) and the only thing I could think of was the fact that I greased that mating surface up real good before I put it back on and apparently that wasn't the thing to do.<br /><br />Doubt that grease pressure did it as I had the disc centered.<br /><br />Also the (a) plastic cap really helps to keep the dirt out and is a secondary protective device to reduce the possibility of water intrusion. May come with your buddies or you can buy them at your marine dealer.<br /><br />HTH<br /><br />Mark

sloopy

Commander

Are these normally the two little fittings near the out drive? I have a mercruiser bravo 1.
Yes, it is also on top of the drive sometimes. It depends what model you have. PLEASE do not directly place grease on the trim cylinders! if you must lube them, spray them with some spray lube. If you smear grease all over them, dirt, small rocks and leaves will stick to it. This will start scratching the cylinders and before you know it they will be leaking! They get covered with hydraulic fluid anyway once they are inside (trim down).