motion sickness

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks about motion sickness remedies. I know of dramamine, ginger, watching the horizon, getting fresh air, etc. <br /><br />Are there any other home remedies or tried and true methods of preventing sea sickness or recovering from it when it sets in?<br /><br />Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: motion sickness

Stay on the dock works very well. :)

studlymandingo

Commander

Drink lots of sea water, you will soon forget about the motion sickness!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Key is prevention; I've never heard of anything that helps once it sets in. If anyone else has, please pass that info on!<br /><br />For me, ginger works better than dramamine and has no side effects (like sleepiness), other than a 'ginger burp' or two. Btw, they have actually done well controlled studies that show ginger to be effective for motion sickness. New studies show that it may be effective for post-operative nausea/ vomiting as well. My sister tried it for a bad hangover & she said it did wonders.<br /><br />Good luck, not much of a worse feeling than severe motion sickness, especially when you're stuck on whatever gave it to you in the first place with no chance to escape for several hours!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a shot you can take once it sets in but that's pretty drastic and a doctor needs to do it. Since he won't likely be on board when you're sick this solution won't work. My wife used to get ugly sea sick on cruise ships. She has since overcome that tendency however.

Realgun

Commander

I am glad to say I don't get sea sick ever. The wife just uses dramamine.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have one son that get very sick and a wife that get sick when seas are over 6 feet the first day out. For my son dramamine works but makes him so sleeepy he may fall in. Ginger helps the wife some. <br /><br />There is only one thing that works for both of them and it will work even after your sick. My I wont get sick buddy proved that. <br /><br />It is a patch that goes behind the ear and is good for 3 days. It called Transderm Scope Scopolamine or something like that. However it does require a doctors percription. Since you do not take by mouth it will not come back up. They recommend you apply 4 hours before going out. That why my wife sometimes get a littlesick the first day. We usually wait until morning and see what the seas are before putting it on. I won't launch if seas are over 8 feet or less than 8 seconds. After the third day put a new patch behind the other ear.<br /><br />One other thing that has help everyone who has gotten sick on my boat is to put them near the center of the boat, not on the bow or stern.<br /><br />Hope this link is ok and not against the rules.<br /><br /> http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/old1998/interest.htm

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Be careful of patches - they have been known to cause dizziness and eyesight problems in some people.

rottenray6402

Ensign

THey used to make wrist bands with metal pieces that would rest on pressure points on your wrists. These were pretty effective for most people but I haven't seen theem for a long time, I din't know if they are still made or not.