Maiden Voyage

DocG2828

Seaman Apprentice
Took my new Maxum out for its first voyage Sat, but only for about 30 minutes. Its been raining here everyday since I ordered the boat (what luck huh?). Had some friends along which was a great help...especially securing the lines, etc. Was GREAT! Had to take it easy on her during the break-in, and was nervous like crazy thinking I was forgetting somethin and trying not to ding up a brand new boat. Learned one thing, slow speed maneuvering was a lot harder than I expected. Took me several attempts to dock it each time, and I didn't even try to trailer it (asked the launch guy to do it). At the marina the launch ramp is not straight on. There are slips about 40 feet from the shore, so you have to come around the dock and cut the boat 90 degrees to line up with the trailer, and have only about 20 feet to do so in. <br /><br />Anyways, had a great time and can't wait to get back out there to practice those slow-speed manuevers. Any tips?? Thanks for all the help deciding which boat to buy and how to store it!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Maiden Voyage

Sounds like it went well! I would suggest that you try and get out during the week when it's not so crowded and practice the slow speed manuvering and more importantly, loading on the trailer. If possible, You might also try to duplicate the angle somewhere else on the water, such as coming into the bank real slow and target something on shore as a substitute for the trailer. Other than that, you will get it with practice. Enjoy the new ride and be safe....

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree with rick, practice, practice, practice.<br /><br />Also, the first thing you need to take into account with any low speed maneuvers is the wind. I stop as far away as reasonable from my target and get a feel for what the wind is doing that day, minute etc. Depending on the results of my little test, I may approach the trailer at the same ramp or same dock totally differently two days in a row . . . ;)

DocG2828

Seaman Apprentice

The river was pretty dead Sat since it was rainy and cold. I do want to get back out on a nice calm day to practice more. I think its just a matter of getting used to turning the wheel which way in forward/reverse to achieve what I want...especially considering the back end moves first unlike a car. I'll try the thing with lining up against something on the shore to practice the trailer.

rottenray6402

Ensign

You may find it easier to get the feel of your new boat if you go to a lake rather in the river at first. The river currents can be brutal and you will need to deal with it sometime, it just may be easier to practice in calmer water to begin with.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

with practice, and more you will get the feel as to how much to turn, how much throttle to forward, spin the wheel, go to reverse, back to forward, spin the wheel the other way. when you get it down, you will be able to parallel park that thing between 2 boats at the dock.

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last year we had an exceptionally narrow slip. only about 8 inhces on either side of the boat to squeeze in. Have a few rashes to proove it, but at least it was a well protected from winds and the water remained really calm. I sometimes feel stupid doing it, and as long as I'm not in the way of others, I always take a few practice runs every spring to shake the rust off of me. <br /><br />Enjoy the new boat... How about her name?

chopper_man

Cadet

I've been boating for years.Since last year i went from a 14'runabout to an 18'.I'm still practicing a year later every lake is has different conditions and that extra 4'makes a big difference on docking in tight areas.Takes time to learn slow speed maneuvers.

DocG2828

Seaman Apprentice

Well then I don't feel so bad about accidentally spinning the boat all the way around and having to come at the dock then reverse back to the gas pump! <br /><br />STill considering names...here's the top choices so far....we're young and fun-lovin still so we're trying to find an appropriate name :) <br /><br />Wet-n-Wild<br />Wanna Come?