Gas tank sender, wiring, gauages, switches, etc...

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br /><br />My '74 Islander has twin tanks that use one gas gauge, along with a switch. I'm assuming that the valve on the water seperator is where you switch from the port to strbd tank, and the switch is what runs the gauge for each. The gauge does not work when switched to the strbd side.<br /><br />I really don't like this setup anyway - is there any reason why I just can't use 2 gauges, wiring them seperately? <br /><br />Also, the tanks are grounded back to the battery. I understand the purpose of the ground, but does this ground play a role in the gauges working?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Rick K

ricksrster

Commander
Re: Gas tank sender, wiring, gauages, switches, etc...

I don't see why not if you can install a sender in the tank. Take a look at Teflexes instructions at //ww2.tflx.com/PDF/99179.pdf. I left off the http: from the beginning because I don't think I boats appreciates links.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Yes...the ground is important both to prevent static build up and to provide the ground signal for your gas gauge via through the sender. Your gauge at the dash will have 12v on it, the sender provides a variable ground to the gauge. If one of your tanks isn't registering (at least you know the gauge works) it could be anything from loose connections, bad sender, broken wire even flaky switch. Go to website mentioned above, they have an excellent troubleshooting guide for the fuel gauge/sender.

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

THANK YOU! This was the only issue with the boat that I knew about when I bought it. The wiring on the boat looks as if it was done during some sort of beer-fest! I'll get 'er worked out though...

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

THANK YOU! This was the only issue with the boat that I knew about when I bought it. The wiring on the boat looks as if it was done during some sort of beer-fest! I'll get 'er worked out though...