stalling

packer

Cadet
My 85 hp force motor runs supper in the driveway.<br />Took it out this weekend and but it in gear, gave very little gas ok, tryed to go faster and the motor stalled.<br />Have new gas in tanks,<br />Carbs are clean.<br />When testing in driveway i am able to pull throtle out but when I move foward to advance the gas it just stops like binding.<br />So when I say it runs good in driveway it is in gear.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: stalling

When you are testing this in your driveway is it with muffs or in a garbage can filled with water. When motor starts to stall or kill have you tried pushing the choke to see if it makes motor run better. When you put this motor away last fall did it still have last years gas in?

packer

Cadet

I am running with muffs, and the gas is fresh this year. No old gas at all, the chock works only by pushing the key in and no I did not do that.

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you remember 50/1 gas/oil ratio?, that could cause some nasty and expensive problems. :eek:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Suspect low compression on one cylinder.<br />When you put the boat in the water, you are adding back pressure to the exhaust. Enough that can cause problems if you have a bad cylinder.<br /><br />Do a compression check before going any further.

packer

Cadet

Yes I'm using 50/1 oil.<br />What is good compression numbers?????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The original factory spec compression numbers for the 85hp were:<br />1984-1988, 145--165psi<br />1989, 135--155psi<br /><br />The actual compression from the factory may have been lower than this.<br /><br />If your numbers are in the 110-125psi range, it should be ok. The readings should be within 15psi of each other.<br /><br />You may just have a stuck ring.<br />A thorough decarb may remove the carbon and free up the stuck ring. Click decarb info