Power Trim Problems Help!!!

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought an 86 Bayliner Cuddy. Everything worked great when I bought it 5 days ago. Took it out on the river and had some fun as it was my first real boat. Was getting ready to take it today and the power trim wouldnt raise the motor. It would lower fine but wouldnt raise. I checked wiring and such and cant find anything wrong. The relays are good and are sending power to the pump. I played with it and all of a sudden it would lift up but not go back down. Now sometimes it will raise and other times it wont do anything. Should I look into getting a new one? Could this be something simple. Also when the motor is up all the way to launch or put the trailer bar in it will slowly lower itself. I read a different topic saying this is a bad thing. by the way its an 85 force with 5H196 power trim unit. Anything you can tell me would be great. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance. Chris

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power Trim Problems Help!!!

Welcome to iboats. I would suspect the switch itself primarily. This is because the problem is an intermittant one, and not specific to one direction or another. Did the switch get wet?<br />I ask, because they are not at all waterproof, yet they allways get wet (IE, common problem).

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it turned out to be the relays. one of them was toast. by the time i figuared it out with my multimeter and grabbed 2 new ones it was too late to go out today. Oh well. Thanks for the reply 12footer im sure your gonna see alot more of me since ive never worked on a boat this big before. I just redid the panels and carpet and built a bench seat for the back. Tomorrow the new radios go in and its off to the lake if it doesnt rain on me. :) Chris

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Glad to hear you found the problem (hopefully).<br />Boats are a labor of love. You'll find them frustrating, finicky, yet fun. They're an expensive thing, like RC boats, which do the same thing to your wallet, but won't let you actually get in them, and have a fanastic time on the water.<br />Mrs 12Footer looks at me breaking-out the wallet to buy a gizmo for a boat in my driveway (My latest project), that has no decking in it, an inoperative motor, looks like it just came-out of a hurricane, and shakes her head. She don't get it....But you and I do... Don't we, Chris?
emthup.gif