1990 FORCE 50 HORSE WHERE SHOULD MY COOLING WATER BE COMING OUT?

Hi Guys,<br />I just bought a 1990 Force 50horse power outboard. I hooked up the earmuffs to it today but I did not see any water coming out anywhere. Is there a stream that should be shooting out somewhere on this motor, or does it come out the exhaust ports on the motor shaft? I dont want to overheat this motor. It seemed to be very hot on the cylinder heads. I have heard that very little water gets pumped into these motors at idle?<br />Or do you think I just need an impeller?<br />Thanks<br />Joe

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 FORCE 50 HORSE WHERE SHOULD MY COOLING WATER BE COMING OUT?

I've got a Chrysler 55 and I put a garbage can underneath it and filled it up with water and ran it . Had plenty of water exiting engine and I could hold my hand on the head without getting burned. So, I'd say you have a problem. It could be a bad water pump impeller, or a bad thermostat(less likely). You're going to need to remove LU to check impeller-that's where I'd go first.

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

There should be a hole on the back of the motor just below the cowling where the stream should spray out. If it is not spraying out replace the impeller. Also check the thermostat. I have a 89 Force 50 that had the same problem. Have ordered a new impeller. Good Luck<br /><br />T A

Hi guys, and thanks for the input. I know my earmuffs were not fitting snugly on the motor, I'll try the garbage can thing first before tearing into the motor. I dont want to overheat the engine and yet I hate to take the thing apart to. Wheres the best place to order an impeller for this motor?<br />Thanks

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

Joe I will answer your questions on this thread. No special tools are needed. 9/16 in wrench to take four bolts out of lower unit. 7/16 to loosen turnbuckle. The water pump has no extra seals that I can see. Just plastic housing and stainless steel bottom plate. I did discover that after the lower unit is off, you need to pull the driveshaft out in order to get the water pump free. This is differant than my old Evinrude 35. As far as ordering the impeller, If you have a boat place nearby I would check there first. If not look around on internet for best price. Good luck.. :rolleyes: <br /><br />T A

Hi Terry, and thanks for the help, I will be checking out the unit tomorrow. My local marina quoted me a price of $65 for the impeller kit.<br />Hopefully this will solve my problem.<br />Thanks again

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Joe, You may not have a problem.<br />The 50HP Force does not have a telltale. The only way you know it's cooling is it will sputter out of the two exaust holes in the back of the leg, and out of the exaust in the lower unit, just above the prop.It should take a minute or two to start this sputtering. I've often described this sputtering as "someone told your motor a funny joke with a block full of water". <br />But that being said, you just bought this motor...Change-out the impeller and the thermostat. 65buks is high, even for the complete pump and housing kit--and simply may not be needed. Just buy a 15 dollar impeller{ Quicksilver part number #47-F433065-2}, and a 9 dollar t-stat, and install them. This way, you'll know when it was done, and how many hours it has on it. Then, it should be good for another 200hours, or 2 seasons.<br />Just follow he procedure for changing it out given by Terry. If you are a reasonably handy backyard mechanic, it will take 2 hours to perform this task, and an hour the next time (you'll know exactly what to do, and be tooled-up for the job before hand).<br />The head should get hot, but no so hot that you cannot lay a hand on it for 3 seconds.

Thanks 12footer!<br />You guys are great, The story on the motor goes like this. I bought a brand new pontoon boat from a dealer in Minnesota, and I had him put on the motor for me, I am from the Chicago area and I drove up the 9 hours to pick it up. Unfortunately the motor was not ready when I arrived. They where replacing the head gasket on the unit, and I believe they put on a new thermostat. I couldnt wait another couple of days for the motor to be finished so I had them ship the motor to me. The motor has been sitting in my garage for the last 7 months in a laid out position, prop facing up. I just hooked it up the other day, so it is possible your right on the water taking several minutes to pump out of the exhaust. Thanks again for all of your help. It is much appreciated.<br />Thanks<br />Joe