motor died while running

weakie

Recruit
Hey guys, found this site while looking for info. I was hoping you couls help me out. <br /><br />I have a 1994 force 120hp outboard. Motor ran great all last year when i bought it. I put it in the water for the first time this year and it ran ok too for my first trip (about 2 hours). I then took it to the marina where i keep my boat slipped and had him do a "lync-sync" tuneup. I then took it out for ther first full day and about 15 minutes into my trip I felt a hesitation like the boat was in neutral (like a car transmission slipping) but it went away and i kept cruising (about 2000rpm). About 50-100yards later my engine just died. I got towed back in.<br />upon coming back in the mechanic went over a couple of things. First we made sure it was in neutral and tried turning the flywheel. It will not turn clockwise at all but will turn counterclockwise with a small amount of effort. second he pulled the sparkplug but could not see any metal filings.<br />The mechanic states that i most likely have blown my gear box (lower end). He told me it would cost about 3,000 if thats the case but he wont know for sure until he tears it apart.He asked me if the lower end gear oil was milky when i changed it at the end of the year last year. it did have a milky color. it was opaque but i figured i would change it and check after a few runs this year. I have only put about 1 hour total running time on the motor this year since itr was changed. My first trip out this year was 2 hours but the motor ran less that 40 minutes total run time then the second time i took it was when it blew about 15 minutes into my second trip. Is it possible that i could have blew the lower end this soon?<br />It will not crank. Is 3000 a normal price for replacing the lower end? does anyone know where i could find another? is this a hard job for a mechanically inclined person to do? I can work on my car but never touched an outboard. I am a complete idiot as far as outboards go. like i said, i dont even know whats involved in a lync-sync tuneup for 250.00. Please fill me with some knowledge! I am boatless during peak striper/weakie/flounder fishing. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: motor died while running

If it won't turn cc-wise, I would remove the LU. It's not that hard to do. If you can get it off, then you can see if motor turns clockwise. If it does then I'd do a compression check. I don't think $3000 is a good price for a LU-it's outrageous. It would probably be a good idea to get a manual for your motor-it can save you time and money in the long(or short) run. Make sure you check impeller before reinstall . That cc-wise movement will throw it out of kilter.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Here is a link to what your lower unit looks like force 120 <br />New and complete unit goes for 2500 dollars. If you get a manual and find the parts that are bad considering it is the lower unit you could fix it for as cheap as 250 dollars. <br /><br />I would get boat back on trailer and take it home. Check lower unit oil to at least see if there is any in there. If there is no oil hopefully the only thing bad is lower unit and not the rest of the motor. I have seen 120 HP lower units on ebay go for as little as 100 dollars but not sure if the older ones will work on your force. Cross checking part numbers though you may be able to use some parts from the older ebay units to fix your newer motor.<br /><br />As scotiany says get a manual. Get motor home and see if you can figure how much is damaged. Come here for help and questions.

weakie

Recruit

thanks guys. i will check it out. it sucks having the boat the the slip already. i appreciate the input!