1957 johnson sea 10 horse

fishhook45

Recruit
i purchased this motor at a garage sale for $75.00. thoght it would match up fine with my newly restored 1954 alumacraft model f. the motor is in very good shape and runs good.........can anyone give me an idea of the motor's value? thanks much, tom.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1957 johnson sea 10 horse

Hi Fishook,<br /> Hate to say this, but in your case, the value was $75.00. If you put some money into it to get it going, then it's worth that much more - to you. They are a common motor, but very nice running when taken care of. Value of a vintage motor depends on many things, not least of which is how much a buyer is willing to spend on it. If you were to try to sell it, you might find that the monetary value is much less than what you feel it ought to be "worth". <br /> Getting away from the philosphy of vintage motor value, in real terms motors like yours go unsold for $150 at swap meets. If someone really wants one, they might pay much more than that (.ie the guy who "had one as a kid", or "gramps had one just like that") but the casual collector knows that with patience they can get one much cheaper, likely in as good or better condition.<br /> Alternatively, your motor may have more value as a service motor than a collectable motor. Put it by the side of the road with a $250 price tag (with tank, of course) and you might get a solid bite from an old timer fisherman who isn't afraid of "old school" technology. <br /> Bottom line is, there are as many "values" as there are people giving them. One thing I will say is that if someone tells you it's "worth" $1000.00 (or more) because it's an "antique", tell them to show you the money!! <br /><br />- Scott

fishhook45

Recruit

good advice Scott. i WAS hopeing someone would tell me the motor was worth $1000 or more. thanks again, tom.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Recently sold on ebay:<br />10 hp 1954 $128.56<br />10 hp 1950 $102.50

CATransplant

Admiral

If you have a nice old boat to put that 10 hp on, you're way ahead of the game at $75. If you do the normal maintenance, that old twin will still be running many years from now. Just enjoy it.