Siezed drive shaft and L/U bolts on '87 Force 35

Xchange

Recruit
Hi all... <br /><br />Contition: This engine sat for 7 years from fresh water usage. Ran when I bought it (2 weeks ago) but the water pump was known bad. I wasn't too concerned because I really didn't pay for the engine, the deal on the Whaler was too good to pass up regardless of the engine condition. Soooo.... <br /><br />I couln't get the L/U off and ended up forcing it (severely). The drive shaft remained siezed to the power head and broke the water pump impeller pin at which point it came out "through" the water pump.<br /><br />Also the shift linkage pin would not come out and ended up breaking the lower shift linkage shaft (replacable part thank god).<br /><br />However to replace the shift linkage I have to separate the L/U from the upper housing where the water pump is mounted. This is my problem, the forward bolt (long one) is siezed as well. simply will not come out. <br /><br />Also, I need to get the drive shaft freed from the power head.<br /><br />Sooo, Am I completely SOL? Any ideas?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Siezed drive shaft and L/U bolts on '87 Force 35

Remove bolt with heat and impact driver?<br /><br />Remove the powerhead with driveshaft attached, and then work on getting the driveshaft out of the powerhead.

WhiteHorse

Seaman

Toss it and get another used motor. The new driveshaft, and rebuild on the LUA alone is going to cost you more than a whole used 35HP running. There are several on E-Bay right now. <br /> When I get one of those smaller ones like that, I stop right where I am at and pull them off bound for the parts pile. You'll end up spending dozens of hours and too much $$ on the thing to be worth it.

Xchange

Recruit

Well, Thanks averyone for your help (on earlier threads as well). This engine is a loss. I removed the powerhead with the shaft attached and it was impossible to free the shaft from the crank. (had heat, sledge and steel going at it forceably).<br /><br />Asside from that the rest of the thing is salvagable for parts. (anyone need parts :) )<br /><br />Now to find a replacement...