Flywheel removal / No Spark help please

Birdup

Seaman Apprentice
Hello I can't get any spark @ the plug. The motor is a 1970 Chrysler 20hp M#202HA , S#5343. I think the stator is bad but the flywheel is in the way to check it. I'm having trouble getting the fly wheel off. I tryed a gear puller and a steering wheel puller with no success. <br /><br />Do I need to remove the flywheel? If so how? <br />Is there another way to check the electrical problem? Any help or ideas would be great. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Kevin<br />Gilbert, AZ

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel removal / No Spark help please

Its gotta come off. THis can be a real problem for us home wrenches.<br /><br />See if you can find a auto repair shop that can pull it off for you.

you have to give it a good wack with the hammer after the puller is tight, if this doesnt work you need to use a impact wrench on it. be carefull, people can get hurt doing this...

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure about this but, maybe Roscoe will reply yes or no. What about attaching the puller,stressing it and heating the flywheel with a small propane torch around the bore.

i did a search here in this subject and came back with lots of this answer (use an impact wrench, electric will work great)

Birdup

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advise everyone. I did the search like you said and I think I can get it off now. But the real question now is when it is off what do I need to do to track down why there is no spark at the plug? I have a manual on order but it will be after the weekend before I get it.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got a feeling that when you get the flywheel off, you're going to find the points corroded together. I think Advance Auto or Autozone might have a replacement but, you're going to have to bring the old one in for comparision. If points are in good shape, the gap is either .015 or.020 . More likely .020.