1994 Force 120 Compression/Decarbing

mdc64

Recruit
Hi, <br />I'm new to the board. Just bought a 94' Sweetwater 24' pontoon. The motor is really clean. I just had it serviced. The mechanic said it was immaculate and had 165 psi in all 4 cylinders. What is the range it should be in? <br />Also, the guy that did the service didn't know what decarbing is. He "says" he sprayed some quicksilver carb cleaner into the cylinders but who knows...What product/procedure is best?<br />One more question please. <br />What 2-stroke oil leaves the least amount of build-up? The previous owner ran the Walmart stuff the last 10 years at 16 oz. to 6 gallons.<br />Thanks in advance!

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: 1994 Force 120 Compression/Decarbing

First off, welcome to the forums.<br /><br />Do a seach on "decarb" in the search feature, youll get all the information you need.<br /><br />Full synthetic outboard oils offer the cleanest running engines, at least use a synthetic blend. The walmart oil is probably the lowest oil on the pole when it comes to TCW-3. Several use it here, but some have had less than desirable results with it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

WHat LubeDude said.<br />So what do you call a service tech that doesn't know what decarbing is, even though it is recommended by all the manufacurers?<br /><br />Answer: Useless, all to common, but useless.<br /><br />Decarbing:<br /><br />Your intent is to REMOVE the existing carbon buildup from the cylinders, heads, and rings, a spray decarb solvent product, such as SeaFoam Deep Creep, is needed to do the decarb process. Free moving rings are what seals your cylinders and gives you compression. Compressed and stuck rings meanss loss of compression, broken rings, and eventually, engine failure.<br /><br />Run engine at fast idle, with engine running and warm, slowly spray liberal amount into each carb. Its gonna smoke up the place. <br />Spray for a couple minutes, now spray a larger amount into the carb(s) until engine chokes out and stops.<br /><br />Remove spark plugs and spray the decarb product liberally into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, let it soak for an hour or more. <br /><br />Start the engine and run at medium throttle, or if at the lake, run it at full throttle. It won't hurt to spray some more through the carbs. Run it for atleast 10 minutes to flush the crud out of your engine. Now remove and clean, or replace the spark plugs. <br /><br />It works well to do the spraying, the night before you go to the lake. This way you can let it soak overnight, and run at full throttle at the lake.<br /><br />Don't do this in front of the garage door or the house, unless you want it covered with greasy black crud.

mdc64

Recruit

Thanks Roscoe I appreciate it. I bought some Mercury Power Tune from a local marine shop. I'll give that a try.