95 Force 120 lower unit

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I almost hate to ask this but I guess I just never paid enough attention. I replaced my impeller and want to make sure I have not missed something. My lower unit shifts into forward exactly where it is supposed to. Back to neutral just like it is supposed to and into reverse properly it would seem. However when I try to spin th prop in reverse wi will not turn in either direction(does not ratchet)like it does in forward. It seems to be catching on the dogs in both directions. I thought they would ratchet in either gear. It freewheels properly in neutral and ratchets in forward. I even removed it and shifted with a pair of pliers. Have I missed something or is it okay.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 95 Force 120 lower unit

if you turn the flywheel clockwise does the prop spin then. If you do this remove plug wires so it wont start. I am assuming the normal rotation of a force is clockwise. In forward gear spinning flywheel clockwise the prop should go one way. In reverse also spinning flywheel clockwise the prop should spin the opposite direction. Not sure if this helps.

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Prop turns when engine turns. I just thought it should ratchet when turned backwards in forward and reverse. Maybe not? It is a Merc lower unit. Thanks.....Seldon

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

It shouldn't turn either way in reverse. It sounds like it's functioning properly if it's a merc unit.

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys Guess I just wanted to make sure..