50 hp Force problems after carb rebuild

weekender

Cadet
I have a 1988 Force 50 /14' Bayliner that I bought in 1995. Never had engine problem no matter how long it sat. Just recently, I had a stuck float so shop recommended carb rebuild. Also time for water pump replaced, so did both. Price ended up being higher than expected for carb and shop said they also replace t'stat. <br /><br />Took it to lake and started ok but seemed to idle high. Boats were coming in so I put it in reverse. Seemed ok. Put in gear and headed across lake. 1-2 minutes later seemed to run ut of gas. Couldn't get started again. Took back to shop, now they say "sorry your cylinder died, not our fault" (compression at 25%). Shop claims they can start it with flusher but when I use garbage can method or lake it still doesn't start (back pressure). <br /><br />I felt ripped off the first time I left shop and now engine is possibly dead. Do I have recourse? Are they right that 2 mins. after fixing, it was engines "time to go" anyway???? (not that I believe that) They also claim my fuel connector was loose (never connected perfect in 9-yrs but I've been runnning it without problem) and that could have allowed air into engine.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50 hp Force problems after carb rebuild

...air into the engine??? Try another shop for diagnosis and go from there. Sounds like the other place is trying to cover their butt.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It could be something as simple as a worn/cracked diaphragm in the fuel pump. Regardless, report these turkeys to your local BBB.

ill bet the carbs were running too lean, which means no lubrication to the engine, then lost cylinder.....<br /><br />had shop do work on my boat, said carbs were fine, i rebuilt them right after my motor died and found one of the carbs didnt have a needle valve in it, .... after they inspected the carb and said it was fine......

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I doubt that your carbs were running too lean. If your carbs are Tillotsons, you can only adjust the mixture of the low speed jet. The high speed jet is fixed.

weekender

Cadet

My carbs are Welbro [WE17 (6/87)], engine model 507X8B <br /><br />I finally got it started in water with the throttle opened about 1/4". Then it cranked on its own after that. Let it run a few minutes but ran r-o-u-g-h. Both plugs (new) had slight oil.<br /><br />Been reading posts and think I need to do decarb as it is only item I didn't do since sat a few months....my force has been a champ all these years, no matter what the critics say. <br /><br />What I don't understand is why it lost compression enough to kill the engine out on the lake, but now it runs, albeit rough. Makes me gun shy about ever going up the Intercoastal even if I get it running again.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Are you sure the water pump is working. It sounds like you over heated while running it. I have a chrysler which is different and forgot to put the key for the impeller in and it overheated in a couple of minutes. I doubt a lean mixture could kill it that fast. Once it overheats it takes a couple of hours for it to cool down enough to start

weekender

Cadet

Water pump works great. Finished decard this weekend and took it out to lake. Runs but now the propeller won't engage. Linkage sounded like it was engaging, then nothing...sat at dock and continued to blow gunk out of engine since revved fine, just no prop...though it almost engaged once during a rev...untied the boat thinking things might be working, then revved and no prop again. <br /><br />I don't see how I went from a stuck float to no compression, then engine runs again, but no prop action.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

disconnect your spark plug wires and try spinning the prop with your finger. Do this in forward, reverse and neutral. Prop should spin only in neutral position and will spin in both directions. If it spins freely in both directions in forward or reverse your shift linkage is not working. You mentioned that the impeller was replaced. Is it possible the linkage was not installed correctly.<br /><br />If you can verify that the shifter is working then you may be looking at a spun prop.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you need to do a gear shift linkage adjustment. Kind of a pain, but not hard to do.<br />All you need is a pencil and a coouple small open end wrenches, and a manual. I recommend the Clymers Force manual. Instructions on pages 473 and 475. I'd say you could do it without a manual, but you have to make sure you don't mess up the neutral interlock safety switch, or it won't start.<br /><br />The shop had to disconnect the shiftshaft when they dropped the lower unit to change the impeller. They probably didn't take the time to get it adjusted right.

weekender

Cadet

I was able to run boat when first out of shop, but after apparent compression problem, things may have changed. The prop also spun freely in neutral before my latest decarb and now only sometimes (will spin right now, but not freely. However I'm not really forcing it either). When throttles out midway, prop spun freely both before and after last tank decarb / test. <br /><br />I'm not positive the clutch button is disengaging fully as I push the throttle. When I recently decarbed, I had it in a tank and ran fast throttle, the prop didn't appear to be turning judging by the water, but when I went back to neutral, the engine kicked and the prop bit into my plastic garbage can, leaving plastic shrapnel that looked like only a spinning prop could make.