Hey Rick (RB)

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey RB,<br /><br />Hey I need your help with 79 Chrysler 45 horse... again. I bought a new impeller for the motor and I am getting set to replace it, however I am confused after reading the manual :( . They really kind of generalized the impeller replacement process between all the motors, so they are not specific as to my motor, but rather the type of gear case I have, either way the manual describes a gasket that is needed for re-assembly. I was able to buy an impeller, but I can't locate a gasket kit for this thing :( . Does this mean I don't need it (use silicone?), or do I have to buy the whole pump and replace it that way? I just wanted to replace the impeller, but it seems that you can't just do that, you have to take apart the entire waterpump assembly? Any advice you can offer would really help, I have tried a couple of the links that you sent to me as well as some other forum member, but the only thing they offer is an entire waterpump assembly. <br /><br />I see why you guys are such strong believers in the factory manuals now. The aftermarket manuals are OK for general work, but the detail for each particular model is terrible.

wakebite

Cadet
Re: Hey Rick (RB)

There Is no gasket...Just 4-screws, housing, base plate, impeller and key.....

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey There Wake,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it, I was hoping to get this done so I could get out on the water, when I got ready to do it I was like what the? :confused: <br /><br />Another question then Wake :D <br />Similar deal, the manual doesn't describe this in detail either. On the lower unit, I went to change the grease (lube, etc.), I found the vent screw and the fill screw, they were next to each other, however about an inch above them is a small hole, smaller than a bb and it is located on the bottom of the plate where the bottom end bolts up to the lower leg( the hole is upside down if that makes sense). I notice that an oil-like substance (old bottom end grease?) comes out when the motor is fired up, is it normal to have this vent or overflow? Second why is stuff coming out? Is this a sign that the grease should be replaced?

WhiteHorse

Seaman

The oil coming out of the drain is just because your motor has been running a little rich. Either your oil mix is rich, or your carbs need some adjustment. <br /> Did you find the little drain screw down at the base of the lower unit bullet?

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahoy there WHM, <br /><br />Yes I did notice that screw as well as two above the cav. plate. The bottom most is the drain? I got one that says "vent" so the other is the fill? Or can I fill through the vent? You are also correct on my carb. I had a guy (not an i-boater) tell me to run my carb rich to overcome an idle problem. Over the weekend I de-carbed and figured out that was probably what my motor needed all along. So I got it dialed back in. I noticed the "oil" when it was out of the tank and saw it running down the cav. plate in the garage.

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey WHM,<br /><br />I forgot to ask what brand of lube to use. I was going to use Lubrimatic-Hypoid 90W Gear Lube <br /><br />(This probably won't start a debate in this forum :D )<br /><br />What do you think? Good, Bad, Doesn't Matter? Should I spend the extra $$$ on synthetic?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The drain IS your fill hole also.<br /><br />Open the lower drain.<br />Open the vent, both if your lower unit has two.<br />let oil drain.<br /><br />Then pump the gear lube into the drain hole.<br />This will fill it from the bottom up, forcing all the air out through the vent hole.<br /><br />Replace vent screw.<br />Remove lube nozzle and replace drain/fill screw.