Starting '87 125

jeffmock

Seaman
Hey Guys,<br />We took the boat out today and it ran OK. ('87 VIP Fish and Ski w/ 125 Force) However I had to crank it a lot before it would start, and after fishing, starting, fishing, starting, the battery would not turn the motor over fast enough to start. So could the battery (unknown age) be not holding a charge or could the starter be draging the battery down prematurely? And is there a secret to better cold starting that I am overlooking? I have read a lot of the tricks that say throttle forward and choke for 5 sec. 3 times and hold your tongue right and it will crank right up. I am going to check the fuel pump diaphram next.<br />Thanks<br />Jeff

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starting '87 125

For a cold start, turn key on, nuetral throttle up, push key in to choke and crank until it fires, release choke. If it stays running push key in to choke as needed to keep it running. If it stalls, crank without choking until it starts then choke as needed to keep it running. Get a manual, find the rectifier. With the engine running at about 1500rpm, use a meter on AC 30 volts or higher setting and check the stator output/rectifier input. The input will be marked with 2 sideways looking "S"s on the rectifier. You should have around 22 volts AC. If you do then switch the meter to DC 20 volts or higher setting and check the output of the rectifier, it should be around 14.5 volts. These are only 4 amp alternators so don't expect much from them. You can also have the battery load tested. The starters are known problems also. If the charging circut checks ok, disassemble the starter and clean the carbon from the armature. Lube the shaft ends and reassemble. Let us know how you make out.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting '87 125

And might I suggest it would be a good idea to replace that battery. It will let you down at the worst time... And I always carry a fully charged spare just in case. Nothing expensive, just a spare from walmart...